Chapter Three

Sometimes our thoughts can do
more damage than blades.

Scarlet walks slowly as she continues to toss the silver coins up in the air and then catch them again. She tucks the coins away in her pocket as she approaches her little cottage at the end of the village. Her family’s house is quite isolated from the rest of the town, sitting on the border, surrounded by trees, with every neighbouring building having its back turned to the old cottage. It isn’t much to look at, but then again neither is the rest of the town. Scarlet’s cottage stands a small two storeys high with giant metal spikes lining the guttering and the exterior walls of the house, iron bars criss-cross across every window and undisturbed bear traps lay camouflaged in front of the rickety old steps that lead up to the creaky old porch. Scarlet pushes her hood off her head as she approaches the death trap house and pulls her rushed coal-black and chestnut braid over her shoulder. 

“Red!” The front door flies open and Scarlet’s mother leaps out the door and over the bear traps. “Red!” She yells and runs to her daughter. Scarlet observes her mother’s fearful expression and the distress in her horse-like voice and becomes immediately instilled with dread.

“Oh God…” Scarlet’s voice goes a little high pitched with tears forming in her emerald eyes as her mother flings herself around her daughter. “What’s happened?” Scarlet doesn’t hug her mother but instead pulls her off and forces her to look her in the eye. “Are you alright? Is it grandmother?” Scarlet’s eyes widen as she tries not blink, as she knows tears will stream down her face if she does. “Oh God, has something happened to Jackson?” Worry and fear tie a knot in her stomach. Her mother clutches the side of Scarlet’s face.

“Your brother and grandmother are fine. It’s you I’m worried about!” Her mother pulls her into her embrace, holding her by the neck and head. The knot in Scarlet’s stomach loosens slightly as her mother continues to stroke the back of her head like a dog.

“Me?” Scarlet pushes herself out of her mother’s strong grip. “Why?” She looks over her mother’s shoulder to see a man emerge from the dark entrance of their house. Grey.

“Grey came and told me that you met a stranger in the woods and that you took off with him.” Her mother’s pale, jade green eyes franticly search her daughter’s body for any sign of injury or attack. Grey walks down the steps and jumps over the bear traps. Oh, how much Scarlet wished his leg would get caught in it. “Did he hurt you?” Her mother asks but doesn’t wait for an answer before spinning Scarlet around to examine the back of her.

“No he didn’t. Mother… please. I’m fine.” Scarlet insists as she tries to pull away from her mother’s reach. “Grey should learn to keep his mouth shut.” She says loud enough for Grey to hear.     

“Scarlet! Don’t blame Grey, I’m glad he came and told me. What were you thinking? Talking to strangers and then taking off with them?” Scarlet was amazed at how quick her mother’s emotions changed from frantically worried to disappointedly cranky.

“I’m glad to see you’re back in one piece.” Grey chirps when he’s standing next to them. Scarlet rolls her eyes and rubs her temples.