Chapter Eleven

Fear is only in our minds
but it’s taking over
all the time.

Scarlet smiles beneath her hood. She decides to start slow and simple, hoping that she’ll get Luca to be less hostile with easy questions. And in return she’d answer the same questions.
     “Um…What’s your favourite colour?” She requests. Luca furrows his brow and raises an eyebrow, as if to say ‘are you serious?’ Luca sighs and plays along.

“Black.” He breathes. “And let me guess, yours is… Red?” He says smartly. Scarlet smiles and nods her head.

“Yes. What’s your favourite time of year?” She Inquires.

“Autumn.” He responds.

“Why?”

“Because it’s the most beautiful season.” Luca says solemnly. Scarlet just nods her head. “Yours?”

“Um…summer. The forest is more…thicker and greener at that time.” She breathes in the comforting smell of pine needles and the damp earth.  “Um…Favourite animal?”

“Wolf.”

“Raven.” Scarlet continues. “Favourite food?”

“Well your grandmother’s muffins are pretty high up there.” He smiles.

“Ha, agreed. She'll be happy you liked them.” Scarlet laughs sincerely. “Hobbies?”

“Hunting.” Luca answers quickly, making it difficult for Scarlet to come up with simple questions. “Yours?” He asks.

“Um…drawing.” Scarlet responds. “Um…one word to describe yourself?”

“Handsome.” Luca smiles mischievously, revealing his sharp teeth. Scarlet blushes and tries not to nod her head in agreement, even though she completely agrees with him.   

“Ah…stubborn.” Scarlet declares honestly.

“Hmm…I can see that.” Luca agrees. Scarlet laughs uneasily, becoming slightly embarrassed.

“Siblings?”

“No.”

“Where were you born?”

“Violethollow.” He says reluctantly. Scarlet tries to think of all the places she’s heard of but Violethollow doesn’t come to mind.