Chapter Thirty Six

It is impossible for a man to learn what

he thinks he already

knows.

Murmurs and glances follow Scarlet and Grey as they walk onto the veranda of his home. Three buildings are neatly packed side by side, all sharing an open veranda. Grey's is the middle structure, Elijah's to the right and Marcus' was to the left but ...

Grey opens the door and gestures her inside. It's dark but warm, the front windows have the curtains drawn and the fireplace on the east wall is still smouldering. It's basically a largish box with an open upstairs platform on the west wall which holds a bed. Scarlet imagines that his two neighbours will have identical set ups.

Generations of deer and stag heads are mounted on the east wall surrounding the fireplace; antlers being the main attribute of decor. A small bench is crowded into the corner of the west wall under the elevated platform for preparing food; a long table runs across the middle of the room with chairs tucked neatly underneath it – a large map and other pieces of paper strewn across the wooden surface. "Make yourself at home." Grey says once he shuts the door. Scarlet glances at him over her shoulder and wanders around the open space, slinging her bag over her shoulder before ascending the ladder like staircase to the rail enclosed bedroom. She throws her bag against the chest that sits at the end of the bed as Grey emerges behind her. "There'll be a mourning service shortly." He informs, avoiding discussing the whispers of the town. "Are you going to join me?" His hands slide down her arms gently.

"I don't think that's wise." She breathes, the town's whispers and glances taking a toll on her urge to be seen by the public. The girl who loved a wolf. Traitor. Harlot.

"No one will say anything if you're at my side." He kisses the top of her head.

"Yes they will. When they think I can't hear." She hugs herself. "I don't blame them, and I don't expect them to understand, or you. I just want to be alone." She breathes heavily so not to let anymore tears be shed.

"Alright." He mutters in agreement. "I don't understand, though believe me I've tried." He walks around her to sit on the chest. "But that doesn't mean we can't move on from it. Once the town starts to flow back into its normal regime then this whole issue will slowly be forgotten." He manages a smirk. "With time this mess will be forgotten, and you'll be happy again." He stands and closes the gap between them, holding her chin between his thumb and index. "You will be happy again." With me. His voice is more demanding than soothing but Scarlet doesn't argue for the time being. Grey can keep his fantasies for all she cared, he would eventually move on with someone else in her absence, and the town would return to its normal rhythm without her to distract it.

Really it's a win – win situation, though if Grey knew the impending plan he would definitely object. Though, Scarlet has no intention of revealing that to him, she's happy for him to dwell in his happy content-ness as he admires his 'well-deserved' prize. After all, it won't last for long and the town will eventually forget this unexpected mess ... and eventually Scarlet will also be forgotten.

Scarlet nods and adverts her eyes, Grey releasing her chin. "We'll discuss your permanent living arrangements later." He postpones any arguments she might start before she can even speak. "How are your wounds?" He asks on a lighter note. Scarlet rubs her thigh as it proves to be more irritating, probably because the markings are deeper than the ones across her abdomen and she hasn't actually given them the proper rest they need to heal.

"Aching, but fine." She responds.

"Do the dressings need changing?" He asks and she immediately pulls her cloak tighter around her.