Chapter Twenty Three

All good things come to
those who wait.

The smell of damp wood swirls in the air whilst a thick fog covers the entire forest in patches. After the celebrations the night before, the withheld deluge finally cascaded down upon the earth, leaving raging rivers and trickling streams behind in its wake. The whole town remains silent as they sleep off their previous revelries. All but one, that is. A red cloak sways in the chilly morning breeze, swimming in the floating mist as it makes its way through the darkened forest. No bow, nor quiver hang from Scarlet’s limbs today. Only equipped with her knee-high hunting boots, an ivory-white dress – accompanied by an olive green corset, and her crimson hood which drapes over her shoulders. If she was a painting, she’d be a splash of blood against the eerie, mist filled woods. She marches into the fog filled clearing, the bottom of the basin can’t even be seen from upon the ridge where she walks aimlessly. She stops by the maple tree, which she had used as a hunting perch a few days before hand. Her emerald eyes dart around, attempting to find her secret companion. A slight crunch of leaves makes her spin around. The ground behind her has been disturbed, recently, as in very recently, two seconds ago recently. As if an animal had run past her, a few leaves float back to the ground, as if an unexpected force had made them jump from their resting place on the ground. The snapping of twigs makes her turn around again. Again, no one is there, just fallen leaves retreating back to the ground. She takes a step back, and as she does a harsh wave of air rushes past her, making her cloak fly in the wind. She gasps, knowing that the mere breeze that wisps through the forest isn’t capable of that. Something fast had just ran behind her. Something very fast. She glances around her, eyes unable of penetrating the thick fog that seems to be gathering around her and growing thicker - rising to the point of her waist, disallowing her to see past her knees. More twigs snap and leaves crunch, and to top off the eeriness of the scene a low growl resonates from behind her. Scarlet spins, clutching her cloak around her. Another gust of wind rushes behind her, followed by another low growl to her left. Her chest rises furiously in fear as her heart begins to beat hard and fast.
       “Luca?” Her voice comes out choked and raspy. She clears her throat and continues to glance around. “Luca?” She tries again, still no answer. Another rush of air makes her turn, so her back is towards the basin. Amongst the grey fog, a dark, big figure appears. Crouched down, straight in front of her. Scarlet gasps as her heart pounds inside her head, she winces to try and see through the fog but her efforts are proved worthless. Especially since the figure darts to the side and out of site, barely even a blur was seen. “Luca!” This time her voice is distraught and panicky. She starts to retreat backwards the way she came. But before she can take another step, something pounces from the mist below her. Grabbing her around the waist, lifting her into the air and then tackling her back down to the ground, quickly but gently.

“Rah!” Luca growls. Pining Scarlet’s arms above her head, whilst her legs are wrapped around his waist.

“You’re not funny!” Scarlet exclaims back. Luca just laughs and buries his head into Scarlets heavily beating chest.

“I was a little bit.” He mumbles. “I was getting worried. I thought you weren’t coming.” His teeth nip at the nape of her neck.