Chapter Six

We all have a beast inside us
that claws at the surface
and makes us question our sanity.

Wooden floor boards creak and moan like an old man taking his last breaths, as the wind whistles through the breaks in the decrepit structure. Mice cower away in their holes like men at wolfstime, too terrified to move, as the presence of a beast lingers within the room. Even in sleep Luca’s ears twitch and prick up as the light taps of footsteps approach the decaying wooden door. Luca’s eyes snap open like lightning flashing in the night sky, as the tapping of feet stop in front of his door. He leaps out of bed, not making a sound despite the creaking boards that moan with the slightest disturbances. Two sharp knocks threaten to break the door in. Luca inhales the air that seeps in through the splinter size cracks in the door. Roses, apples, trees, and morning dew that is drizzled across the forest floor. Growing impatient, the visitor knocks again. Luca opens the door, which reveals a girl in a crimson red hood.

“You’re looking better.” Luca observes as he leans against the crumbling doorframe. Scarlet stands shyly, holding her basket with both hands in front of her. “What have I done to be graced with your presence so early in the morning?” Luca crosses his arms of his hard, bare chest, as he runs his autumn eyes up and down Scarlet. Scarlet blushes at her half naked companion, allowing her eyes to swallow every bit of exposed, muscular terrain.

“Um…” Scarlet’s train of thought derails completely when she looks up into his autumn coloured eyes that shine with specks of gold. Luca smiles smugly, showing his eerily sharp teeth, which seem a little sharper to Scarlet then what they were the first time that they met. “I…um.” Scarlet shuts her eyes as she tries to concentrate. “I brought you this.” She holds the basket out for Luca to take.

“What is it?” Luca takes the basket and pulls off the white and red checkered cloth that covers the contents. Three oversized, blood red apples, two apple and cinnamon muffins, and five pieces of shortbread.

“The apples are from the tree in my front yard and the muffins and shortbread are something my grandmother whipped up.” Scarlet smiles briefly. Luca looks a little taken back by the gift and cocks an eyebrow.

“Why?” Luca stands up straight. “Not that I’m not grateful.” Luca adds so that Scarlet doesn’t mistake his tone for rude.

“My grandmother told me that you stopped by to see how I was, and that you brought food with you.” Scarlet plays with her long braid that hangs over her right shoulder. “And it’s also a welcoming gift. I know that the rest of the village probably wasn’t very hospitable.” She rolls her eyes. She was right, Luca hadn’t had the best welcoming. He was charged extra at the markets, was followed by almost everyone, and got into an agreement with the innkeeper when he tried to charge him double the rent.

“Thank you.” Luca says sincerely. “How are you feeling?” He asks as he walks back inside his room, placing Scarlet’s basket on a small table in the middle of the room. Scarlet lingers in the doorway while Luca disappears into the dark room.