Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty Five 

To forgive calls upon our love.

To forget calls upon our strength.

Men flock to the tavern while women flock to the cottage at the end of the village.

Wedding day.

Most of the day passes by in a blur, the house fills with food and cakes, dresses and gifts. Scarlet's mother and grandmother attend to her with undying attention, as does Grey's mother and aunty. Washing her, dressing her, fixing her hair. The house beams with laughter and joy, everyone overjoyed and surprised that this day has finally come. So much joy and laughter, yet none emits from Scarlet, not even a smile. Screaming inside her head, pure anger and determination ignite the spark of emerald that burns behind her unwavering eyes. Yes, no smiles or laughter yet for Scarlet, but soon, she just has to wait. Wait for the sign, wait for the plan ... wait for the moon.

   All is prepared and set, awaiting the chime of the bells. The five women stand in Scarlets room, admiring their work. Jackson finally emerges from his room, hiding in Scarlet's doorway, her beauty filling him with awe but her expression filling him with sadness. She manages a small smirk to reassure her little brother when she notices him in the mirror. Their grandmother notices and calls Jackson in. "Doesn't she look beautiful?" She asks. Jackson nods and forces a small, shy smile. Scarlet looks at her reflection. Her hair braided and then swirled into a bun on top her head, her dress a pretty shade of ivory, sitting loosely on her shoulders before trailing down her body and then a further metre behind her – consisting of a thin white silk with a layer of stunning white lace that covers the whole dress in floral patterns. The top hangs low on her chest and starting at her shoulder blades the back has been cut out in the shape of a V and re-conjoins at the crook of her back. "Alright then." Her mother exclaims. "The sun will be setting soon, lets head down stairs, make sure all the lanterns and torches are lit." Grey's mother and aunt agree, following Scarlet's mother and Jackson's lead, leaving behind Scarlet and her grandmother.

"Oh, my darling." She gently grips the sides of her granddaughter's face. "You look so beautiful." She kisses her forehead ever so gently. "I love you."

"Do you?" Scarlet questions. Her grandmother looks down on her in confusion, hurt.

"Of course I do, sweet."

"Then why are you letting this happen?" She doesn't wait for a reply before she spins, pulling up her dress to allow herself to walk out of the room. Her grandmother doesn't respond, but follows quietly. No sun light brightens the room, only the bright torches that stand outside. Breathe and wait. Her voices repeat in her head. There is a plan and it will work. Though she's not informed of what this plan will be, she has faith in Luca.

"Everyone is in place." Scarlet's mother beams, pulling a white veil from the table. "Just one more thing..." She smiles brightly at her daughter, lifting the veil over her face, tying the ivory ribbon and hooking it over her bun. "There. You're ready." Scarlet hides her disdain behind her veil. "I'm so proud of you." She caresses her daughters face a top the veil. You won't be after this. She thinks to herself. "Alright." Her grandmother and Jackson pick up the two hemp baskets which are full of flower petals, her mother opens the door and steps out first, followed by her grandmother then Jackson – after he gives her a pained look. Scarlet picks up her small bouquet and waits in the doorway – out of site waiting for the bells to chime. When they finally do her heart ... stops. Her breath is caught in her throat – doubt slipping into her mind.

"You can do this." She breathes jaggedly as she urges her feet to move. When they finally do she has to remind herself how to walk as her whole body attempts to switch into flee mode. Eventually she steps into sight of the awaiting crowd, who stand in rows in the front yard, splitting down the middle to form an aisle. To her left, a select few stand aside as they provide music with their harps and drums. At the end of the aisle, Grey waits along with the village elder under a beautifully constructed arc, a table behind them. She timidly follows the path of flower petals, stepping lightly and slowly. Her heart begins to pound like a humming bird franticly fluttering about in her ribcage, as she approaches Grey. He smiles at her though he cannot see her face, his eyes glazed of with lust. The village elder who will be preforming the ceremony wanders around the table as Scarlet arrives in her position – her heart beating so loud that she's sure he can hear it.

"You look utterly divine, my sweet." He says so only she can hear, as he stares at her heaving chest, eyes wandering down until her round hips. The elder begins the ceremony and the musicians abandon their playing as he speaks. Scarlet's mind runs wild as the elder proceeds. 'Oh God. Where is he?' 'He should be here.' 'Why hasn't he stopped it yet?' 'He's late! How on earth can he be late?'  Her voices scream in her head as she carefully scans the crowd through her veil. Grey lifts her veil without warning. 'Oh God, are we that far along already?' 'Luca, hurry up!' She adverts her eyes so she's not looking at him, but she can see him smile wickedly.

"If there is anyone here who disagrees that these two people should be joined in holy matrimony..." He pauses. "Speak now. Or forever hold your peace." The crowd silent, Scarlet's head screams. Grey's smile widens and he leans closer. A small gasp to Scarlet's side causes her head to turn involuntarily. It was Jackson. He stares blankly up past them, eyes glazed over with fear, but before she can even turn her head the other direction to see what has caught her brother's attention, her question is answered.

   A horrifying wail pierces the silence of the night, dragging on long enough to make everyone gasp and doubt their own hearing. Everyone's heads fly up to gaze at the shadowed bell tower that is in perfect line with the wedding party. Half a silhouette of a large crouched figure stands out against the moon lit tower – slowly it stands, elongating itself, throwing its head back ... the earth quaking howl emitting from its throat. Taller than any man it stands proud on stretched limbs, outlined by the white glow of the moon that full unsheathes itself from the ominous clouds. When the ringing of the howl ceases, everyone grips their hearts and holds their breaths – as the beast turns its gaze towards the large, uncovered, un-armed crowd. Then the screaming begins.

***