Prologue

Word Count: 670

Part Warnings: None

*

No one ever thought that Hugh Ransom Drysdale, the selfish, trust fund prick, would ever get a permanent girlfriend, let alone a wife, but here we are. Charlotte Moore was one of the nicest girls around, constantly helping those around her, donating money to charities and working as a successful Paediatrician. Ransom will never understand how he managed to convince Charlotte to love him, however, she did. Unconditionally.

Charlotte and Ransom met ten years ago. Charlotte was twenty-two then and fresh out of College. She moved from the UK to study. She was just starting out in a hospital at the time when she was doing a shift in the ER. About halfway through her shift a very drunk and in turn, very handsy Ransom Drysdale stumbled through the doors with some friends. He had blood pouring from his head where he had fallen in his intoxicated state. It was only a few stitches and scans to make sure there was no severe injury, which caused many jokes from his friends to be shared, and she was happy to send him on his way.

However, Ransom wasn't happy with this and hung around for the rest of the night trying to convince her to give him her number. In the end she gave in, purely because it had been a long night and she wanted him to go away. Ransom called her and set up a 'date' with the obvious intention of sleeping with her. Not too happy with this she refused him multiple times assuming that soon he would get over it and find a new 'hobby.'

This didn't happen. It was about a year later and Ransom was still asking her out. He had obviously had sex with other women in this time, but he wasn't about to let her know that. Charlotte made him wine and dine her before he bed her and not wanting to put his hard work to waste, he agreed. Although the night did end in Ransom's favour, and she ended up tangled with him in his ridiculously expensive sheets.

After the little rendezvous with Ransom, they started seeing each other more often. Eventually he asked Charlotte to be his girlfriend, despite 'not doing relationships,' and she agreed. About a year and a half later Ransom introduced her to his family. Something he was not looking forward to. Charlotte convinced him to allow her to meet his family after he had met her parents. He wasn't happy about it but would do anything for the woman he loved.

The meeting went just as expected. Linda Drysdale eyeing Charlotte the entire night as if she were dangerous and Richard Drysdale was overfriendly the entire night. The rest of the family practically ignored her apart from Harlan and Joni Thrombey. Joni trying to get Charlotte to buy some of her very questionable beauty products and Harlan just happy to meet the woman that makes his oldest Grandchild happy.

After meeting the family, Charlotte naturally told Nicole, her best friend. Nicole told her friend to be careful, everyone for miles knew Ransom Drysdale and knew to stay away from him. Fortunately for Ransom, Charlotte didn't listen and continued seeing him. Five years after they met, Ransom did the unexpected and got down on one knee. A year later they were married and despite Ransom not wanting his family there, Charlotte convinced him. Not that they were pleasant company, complaining about the location, decorations, cake and Charlotte's dress. This, however, didn't get Charlotte down. This was her big day and she'll be damned if her snotty in-laws would ruin that.

Charlotte and Ransom's marriage was like a dream. Ransom was the perfect gentleman, treating Charlotte with the respect she deserved and leaving his playboy days behind him, much to everyone's shock. They rarely fought and when they did they resolved it like adults. The majority Ransom's family didn't like Charlotte still, but she couldn't complain. Life just seemed to fall into place for Charlotte. Until it didn't.