Part 3

Word Count: 1358

Part Warnings: Thrombey/Drysdale Family.

*

Ransom decided not to go to the memorial either and I was too exhausted for an argument, so I let him be. As I arrived at the estate, I noticed the police there. Meg came out to greet me and I noticed that Marta had pulled up at the same time. I hadn't been introduced to the police yet and they assumed that I was part of 'the help.'

"The help? This is Charlotte Drysdale, Granddad's granddaughter-in-law and Marta, Granddad's nurse." Meg snapped at them.

"It's okay, sorry." Marta apologised. I quickly jumped in, sensing her nervousness.

"No, it's not alright. Come on Marta lets go in." Me and Meg ushered an upset Marta into the house. Just as we all got up the steps, Linda opened the door. She paid no mind to me but instead, immediately went and spoke to Marta, asking her how she was.

"How are you?" Marta kindly returned the gesture.

"The funeral helped, I guess. Just seeing him. I thought you should have been there. I was out voted."

I knew that was an outright lie but I didn't want to cause a scene. Today was about remembering Harlan, not getting one up on my mother-in-law. Richard then walks in on the phone. "I'm not the cops so I don't know. Alright fine, don't come, get arrested. Die up your own ass for all I care." Richard hung up the phone

A pit of dread formed in my stomach as I had a feeling that my father-in-law was talking to my husband. "He's not coming." His eyes settled on me and Marta before gesturing to his phone. "Ransom. Little shit. Missed the funeral."

"Do you know why Charlotte?" As you live with him." Linda disregarded the fact that I live with him due to us being married.

"Well, I don't think he was up to it." I told her, biting my tongue to prevent an insult coming out. Linda just nodded at me and muttered an 'I see' before turning her nose up.

A man entered the room to inform everyone that the police would like to see each of us one by one.

"All right. I'll go first." Linda volunteered. "I'm assuming this will be all wrapped up before the memorial tonight."

"We'll do our best ma'am." The officer gently smiled, although I could tell that he was nervous. They both went through and left me, Meg and Marta to go into the other room and Richard to carry on as he pleased.

*

I was the last one to go in apart from Marta. When I walked in, I saw the officer from before along with two other men. One of which was sitting in the back as if he was a part of the furniture.

"Ms. Drysdale. I would like to introduce ourselves as we haven't found each other in the same company yet. I am Detective Lieutenant Elliot and here is Trooper Wagner." The man sitting in front of me spoke as he gestured to himself first and then the man I had met earlier.

"Charlotte please." I offered. "Mrs. Drysdale is my mother-in-law and lord knows I am not like her." I joked and saw how Trooper Wagner laughed and Lieutenant Elliot bite back a grin.

"So, Charlotte, I am going to record this, just so you are aware." Lieutenant Elliot turned on the recording and started to speak again. "Okay so we are here with Charlotte Drysdale, Hugh Drysdale's wife and Harlan Thrombey's granddaughter-in-law. We are discussing the events from one week ago, the night of Harlan Thrombey's demise.

"We are deeply sorry for your loss. So, we know that on November eighth, the family gathered to celebrate Harlan's 85th birthday. How was the party?"

"Well, it was like any other Thrombey/Drysdale gathering. Opinionated relatives and expensive food." I answered.