ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ⁵²

Unfortunately, we had to leave Ushi behind for this mission. No one was more sad than me but it couldn't be helped, they didn't allow pets. "Goodbye, Ushi..." I sniffled as I looked over my shoulder, waving weakly at the tiny bull.

"Don't worry, Boss! We'll take care of him while you two complete your mission." Genta patted Arataki's back roughly. We both stood there with downcast expressions, already missing our dear companion. Leaving Ushi behind was a last minute decision. It slipped our minds that they wouldn't allow him in and it would be easier than sneaking him in.

"We must soldier on. It's what he would've wanted!" Arataki wanted to cry too but he was right. We have to be strong! For Ushi! Ushi was just staring at us blankly, not really caring about what was happening.

"Take good care of him!" I grabbed the front of Akira's shirt, making sure to get my message across. "O-Okay! Promise!" Satisfied, I let him go and Arataki and I headed back to the inn, leaving Ushi in the gang's care.

*        *        *

My brows were furrowed as I stared at myself in the mirror, the Lichtenberg figure was ever prominent if not more now that the furisode revealed more of my neck. I gently touched it and my frown deepened.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is that no one should be ashamed or try to hide their scars." Itto's voice rang in my mind, causing me to pull my hand away from the scar. Instead, I looked myself in the eye, took a deep breath in, and a smile stretched across my face. Rather than feeling ashamed, I felt pride.

I opened the door to the bathroom after I was finished getting dressed in my new furisode. I looked down at myself but couldn't help but feel somewhat self conscious even after my small pep talk. It looked good at the shop but now I'm having second thoughts on how it fits me.

"How's it look?" I asked him but froze when I saw his. I've seen it before at the store but he didn't show me how it looked on him. I don't think I've shown him mine, either. I was so mad at him that I refused to at the time.

I wore a f/c furisode that had long sleeves that hid my hands. The length of the robe itself ended right above my feet. The fabric was really soft, surprising me with how comfortable and breathable it was and the obi that was tied around my waist felt nice and snug.

==================