32. Cat Charmer

December, 2018

December, 2018

You're up late, Remi texted as Ingrid was trying to take a selfie with a tequila shot. How are you feeling?

She dismissed the message, snapped the picture, and put her phone in the back pocket of her jeans. Sighing, she poured herself another shot, then crouched to pick up the only bottle of Brennans left. It'd been a good night.

"I'mma buy this off you," she told Rudy, slamming the bottle on the countertop. "Then we're even."

He looked up from counting his earnings. "Don't bother," he said. "I've saved it for someone else."

"...Who?" She untied her apron and slung it across the bar.

Rudy nodded to Hitoshi, who'd just walked in and was approaching. Ingrid raised an eyebrow at him.

"I take it your shift's over?" Hitoshi asked her.

Rudy shook his head at them, said nothing.

"Yep. Lemme get my jacket."

She dashed into the backroom, grabbed her jacket, and hugged her temporary co-workers goodbye. They'd all come around, eventually.

"Here." Rudy handed her a wad of cash when she returned to the barroom.

She glanced down at the money. "What is this?"

"Tips. For your trouble tonight."

Over Rudy's shoulder, Ingrid could see Hitoshi making a face of appreciative surprise.

"No, thanks." She pushed Rudy's hand away. "Split it among the others. If you wanna repay me, you better be placing a big booze order on Monday."

"Suit yourself," Rudy shrugged.

"See you around, mate." She patted his shoulder and headed for the bar where Hitoshi was waiting, slipping into her jacket as she walked.

He picked up the bottle of Brennans with one hand, while the other found the small of her back. One of his bodyguards opened the front door for them and rushed ahead to also get the car door.

"Where to?" Hitoshi inquired, sliding beside her onto the backseat.

She regarded him with narrowed eyes for a second. "Do you expect me to believe you don't actually know my address?"

He grinned, winking, and glanced at the driver in the rearview mirror. They nodded at each other. Ingrid bit her lip to keep from rolling her eyes. She focused instead on the phone in her lap and sent Remi one of her shot-glass selfies. At the same time, Hitoshi leaned into her with one arm stretched on the backrest above her shoulders and his other hand squeezing her thigh.

"Why'd you have to wear jeans, hmm?" His hot whisper made her skin prickle. His hand on her leg hitched higher.

She let her head drop back to look him in the eye. "I thought you loved a challenge."