33. Flower Arrangement

December 2018

December 2018

Pri sat on Ingrid's bed with a glass of wine, one leg folded under her and Momma draped on her lap. "Are you sure about this?"

"No." Ingrid dropped another pair of underwear into her suitcase and rubbed at her nape. She'd had a session with Hana at the dojo the other day, which, although mild, had left her sore and bruised.

"Right." Pri sipped her wine, stroking Momma's fur. "And you're doing this because...?"

"Because I can."

Momma mewed as if in protest, while her owner picked out a two-piece bikini and her favourite full-body swimsuit for good measure.

"I mean... I'm not judging you or anything, but are you sure you're not being a little rash? He might not be Yakuza, but he's still an elusive creep."

"He could have killed me several times by now," Ingrid used Hitoshi's argument against her friend, "if he wanted to. Remember we met in Singapore? He could've easily done me in there."

"So, you trust him?"

"I trust him not to kill me."

The Aussie emptied her glass and set Momma down on the floor to go grab a refill. Ingrid followed her co-worker into the kitchen.

Pri poured two glasses, handing one to Ingrid. "Are you sure you're not doing this because..."

"Because what?"

They clinked their glasses, and Pri took a sip.

"Because of Oliver." Ingrid opened her mouth to argue, but Pri didn't let her. "Listen, I don't want to hear you playing tough or some such shit. You two had a good thing going on and..." A heavy sigh. "I know you're telling everyone that it ended amicably, but what kind of relationship ends 'amicably' after a life-threatening event like that?"

Ingrid felt the red wine stain her lips and licked it off to the best of her abilities.

"I know you cheated on Oliver," Pri whispered. "And I know your conscience is eating at you. And, again, I'm not judging you, your relationship is your business, but I don't want you going off doing something stupid while you're still recovering."

"I'm fine, princess," Ingrid managed, feebly.

"Physically, maybe."

Ingrid gulped. "You don't... you don't hate me? For... cheating on Oliver?"

Priyanka sighed. "Fuck, I wanted to. I've known Oliver since we were kids, and he's just such a great guy. He didn't deserve it, but... I figured karma paid you back when you kinda nearly died, you know?"

Ingrid finished her wine, wincing. "Can I, um... can I hug you?"

"Sure," Pri laughed, and they set aside their glasses before swooping into a tight embrace.