Chapter Three - Carriage On, My Wayward Son

"Lilith Clawthorne."

She stood silent, still putting her hands up as the Golden Guard mentioned her full name. His staff's glowing red gem still aimed towards her.

"Didn't expect you to be working with them." Hunter pointed at a confused Raine, standing near the edge of the rooftop.

"This is not what it looks like." She corrected him, but Hunter and Kikimora didn't believe her words.

"Oh, please. Like we'll ever believe the words of a criminal." Kikimora finally spoke up, not convinced by her.

"I think it's very clear what's going on." Hunter said, still not backing down in their standoff on the roof.

"This is what I think it is, isn't it? Why'd you erase Darius' memories, Lilith? Better yet, why'd you brainwash him?" Hunter said, accusing Lilith of the recent incidents.

"Brainwash?" Lilith asked confusedly.

"Well, I'm not exactly sure what happened to him but still, you're the one who planned the attack the night before, right? For what, a revenge plot because Belos wanted to petrify you and your sister?" Hunter assumed, Lilith grew irritated at his accusations.

"Believe me, as much as I hate the Emperor's Coven right now, I wouldn't risk the lives of civilians just to send a message to him." She said truthfully, putting away her hands.

"So are we going to talk about this civilly or are we going to do this the hard way?" Lilith asked, giving a conundrum to everyone on the same roof.

A moment of silence took over their standoff, both Hunter and Kiki didn't move a muscle and kept planting their eyes on Lilith while Raine was still bummed by this confrontation. Hunter considered just knocking the both of them out, but then realized they might try to defect. He realized a fight wasn't necessary at the time. Lilith squinted her eyes at Hunter's mask holes, as if she could hear his thoughts. As Hunter decided his next course of action, he sighed in defeat and deactivated his staff.

"Stand down, Kiki." He said weakly. Kikimora only stuttered in confusion.

"But, Golden Guard-"

"I SAID STAND DOWN!" Hunter shouted in, commanding Kikimora and in the process it frightened her. She obeyed without further question.

-

"This is not what I meant about civilly." Lilith said, complaining about the cuffs that bind her wrists together.

"What can I say? Just for secure measures." Hunter said, setting down his staff on the floor as Kikimora finished cuffing Raine.

"So, Whispers." Hunter crossed his arms together.

"What happened exactly 3 days ago? Specifically, when you were with Darius at a bar."

"Oh, that time when I mistook his drink for mine?" Raine simply replied without hesitation.

"Yeah, tha-... WHAT?" Hunter immediately processed their answer, completely unrelated to anything he and Kikimora are investigating.

"Look, it was just a simple misunderstanding! I accidentally drank his apple blood! I was trying to tell Lilith here until you two showed up!" They continued, struggling to get out of their cuffs.

"That was the last time you saw him?"

"Yes!"

Kikimora grumbled in annoyance and reeled Hunter away from Raine and Lilith to have a private talk.

"So all this time, we've been chasing them building to building, just to find out they switched drinks with Darius." She whispered at Hunter, he put his arms on both sides of his waist in disatisfaction.