Chapter Eight - Gold Blooded

Half an hour later, Hunter checked out from the library, preparing to head back to the castle. Having enough research about wild magic, he decided to just call it a day. Although, there are no references about Belos' origins, which kind of made sense considering not even the deepest, darkest archives contain information about it.

He hesitated to borrow the book from the library and bring it back to the castle, fearing Belos might catch him reading or if he finds it laying around in Hunter's room when he's not home. So Hunter decided to just leave the book alone in the library for now, promising to himself he'll bring it home when it's the right time.

Hunter walked down the main entrance's steps, opposing other passersby entering the building. He then spotted a few coven scouts putting up flyers on nearby walls and poles advertising something. Hunter inspected it closer to read that the emperor is planning a celebration party regarding the cease of the Wicked Witch's reign of terror held in downtown Bonesborough.

Hunter raised an eyebrow at the piece of flier on a pole, and was immediately greeted by a familiar scout.

"Hiya, chief." Steve saluted him.

"Hey, Steve? What is up with these flyers?" Hunter ripped out the ad from the pole.

"Apparently the emperor is throwing a party downtown tomorrow night." Steve said, it didn't clear things up for Hunter.

Steve notices his confusion, and continues to elaborate.

"Yeah. With the whole Wicked Witch incident over and dealt with, he came up with a celebration party to end it all, officially." He explained.

"Huh. He never told me anything about a party." Hunter put up a finger on his chin in question.

"My guess is he made a decision this morning." The scout then put up another poster on the wall.

"Look, whatever the case, I'm happy, and you should too. Take the rest of the day off, Steve." Hunter suddenly said, Steve looked at him in surprise.

"What? Oh, no, no, my liege. I'm already assigned to share these out. I can't just suddenly take a day off, I have a job to do!"

"I get that this is your job, but your job is to ALSO obey everything your leader tells you to do. And, as your superior, I command you to take the day off, Coven Scout Steve." Hunter instructed.

Steve took a minute to consider Hunter's offer to call him off-duty, before finally giving him a conclusion. He then took his light gray beaked mask off, revealing his pinkish skin and hard-to-miss bone-white horn sticking out of the right side of his forehead.

"Well, maybe I can use the time to hang out with Matty." Steve referred to his half-brother, Mattholomule.

"Thanks, Golden Guard." He whispered to Hunter.

"You're welcome. And please, you know my name. Use it." He said back, and gave Steve shoulder pats knowing Steve has a strange liking to it.

"Thank you... Hunter." Steve finally addressed him by his real name, Hunter smiled at this and nodded.

Having a coven scout say his real name somewhat felt weird to him, but at the same time, Hunter felt that it was satisfying.

After straightening the poster, Steve walked away from him to the next flier spot. Knowing it was his time to head back to the castle, Hunter reached an empty back alley to change into his Golden Guard uniform after summoning his staff. He then used it to hover up from the said alley, and continued to fly with it.

But before advancing to the castle, Hunter decided to check up on someone dear to him.

Emira threw the little ball towards the ceiling, but gravity took it's part and made it fall back down, she only catched it flawlessly, and proceeded to repeat it over and over again in boredom.