Chapter 3

He only wants you because of your pure bloodline.  So his family can stay in power.

Everleigh stopped for a moment.  This was important to know, but what did this have to do with Janine.

"Thank you, but where do you come in?" Ever asked gently. She really could not deal with being used at the moment.  Distraction time.

Janine glanced at her sadly.  "Well, my mom was Jerald's truemate." 

Ever froze.  was.

"Did he?" Ever couldn't even think about the rest of the question.

"No, no.  Jerald did not have her killed."  Janine quickly explained.  "He had met my mother, and had already had an heir to take over.  He was going to leave his purebred harpy mate, to pursue his truemate.  But my mom had a hunting accident, someone had shot her wing while she was flying one day and she plummeted into the caverns below the mountain."  She explained.

"I was only a young hatchling.  When my father had learned of me, he took me from my grandparents and raised me in this room." Janine explained

Ever looked at her cautiously.  "Janine, does the Nest Mother know about you?"

Janine looked thoughtful.  "She knows I'm a harpy and I do work around the house."

Ever looked at her more fully.  "I meant does she know that Jerald had a true mate, one that he was going to leave her for?"

Janine looked up at her ceiling while she thought.  "Well yeah, how else was he going to mate my mother? And raise me in the house with his son?"

Ever stopped her line of thought.  Maybe the nest mother wouldn't have tried to keep her pure bred mate.  It's not like the women here are as power hungry as the men.  Right?

She shook the thought lose, and decided to ask about the ball instead.

"So Jonesy is old enough to find his true mate? But wants a ball instead?  Is he hoping she shows up?"  Ever asked hopefully.

Janine glanced at her sadly.

"No, chickadee, he wants to claim a pureblood before they have the chance to turn him down.  He is just as power hungry as his father used to be."  She tapped her tiny pointed chin lightly.  "Though, maybe if you are lucky, after he has a male heir.  He might find his true mate and release you."

Horror filled Everleigh then.

He wanted to use her.  Make her have his heirs, then throw her away?   Leaving her used and discarded.  Like trash?

Everleigh needed to find a way to be free of this.

Without setting his sights back on her twin.

Oh Mother Hen, guide us!