Wrapped In Plastic

Molly was sitting outside on the balcony. She was smoking cigarette after cigarette. She was mostly alone there. A few people came out for a smoke here and there but otherwise it was quiet. The party only began an hour ago.

Quite a few people came. The music was blasting through the windows and glass door. They weren't playing only their songs but other artists' too. She turned her head to the side to look at all the people inside. Twiggy and Pogo were talking to eachother. Daisy was talking to some people she didn't know, and Brian was just walking Sophie inside. He told her something and walked toward the mini bar. He poured her a drink. Then he looked across the room and his eyes met James's. He held up the bottle of what she thought was vodka, and raised his eyebrow. Molly nodded in answer and then he poured a drink for her as well. He continued on to make a drink for himself too. Then he took the three glasses and handed one  to Sophie. He said something to her again and she nodded. Then he started making his way toward Molly.

She got up and opened the door for him. "Thanks." She said when he handed her her drink.

"How come you're here alone?" He asked her as she sat down. "I don't mind, honestly. Daisy'll come out later." She told him.

He sighed and sat down. "Might as well have a smoke if I'm here," he said. "It's fine. Go be with Sophie. She came all the way here for you." Molly nudged him. He didn't make any moves that indicated his plan to go away.

"You trying to get rid of me Wuornos?" He asked jokingly. "No, I just think that you're doing this out of pity. Which is completely unnecessary." She huffed.

He stood up and waved to Sophie. She joined them moments after. "Soph, you're a smoker. You don't mind if we have one before we go inside, right?" He asked the blonde.

"Nope, that's fine with me. Hey James." The girl said.

James smiled at her and said: "Hey. Congrats on the job!" Sophie thanked her. Then she said: "Oh, Brian, I got a new Funko Pop. It's the Giant from Twin Peaks." James's ears perked up at the mention of her favourite show. "You know Twin Peaks?" She asked the other woman.

"Yeah, it's like one of my favourite shows of all time. The visuals are fucking amazing. You like it too?" She asked.

"She watches and rewatches it all the fucking time. It's literally all she ever does." Brian interjected. Molly punched his shoulder and said: "I have other activities too. We've been over this dude." He laughed in response.

They started bantering with each other and Sophie listened. After a while, when she'd already finished two cigarettes she cleared her throat and told Brian that she was going back inside. He nodded and let her know he'd join her soon. Her shoulders slumped, but neither Brian nor Molly noticed because their attention was back on the previous topic.

"I almost forgot: listen to this. It's one of my lesser known songs." He gave her his phone and some earphones. She waited for the song to start and her eyes widened when she heard the familiar backwards way of speaking which was obviously inspired by the Black Lodge scenes in Lynch's show.

"Guilt is a snake we beat with a rake
To grow in our kitchen in the pies we bake
Feed it to us to squirm in our bellies
Twisting our guts make our spines to jelly
Stay, don't want to go now
Drove the children from their chores
Handcrafted housewives into whores
Fear of the beast is calling it near
Creating what we're hating, it's only fear that is here
Stay, don't want to go now
Come into our home, hope you stay.
I know the steak is cold but it's wrapped in plastic
Come into our home, hope you stay.
I know the steak is cold but it's wrapped in plastic
I'm only as deep as the self that I dig
I'm only as sick as the stick in the pig
Thin and so white, thin and so white
Daddy tells the daughter
While mommy's sleeping at night
To wash away sin you must take off your skin
The righteous father wears the yellowest grin
Don't wanna go now
Stay, don't wanna go now, stay, don't wanna go now
Come into our home, hope you stay.
I know the steak is cold but it's wrapped in plastic"