The Death Song

Molly woke up before Brian did that morning. She checked her phone for the time. It was 8 AM. Her eyes stayed glued to the date at the top of her screen. August 7th. The day she despised most. Only Daisy knew what today was. She had to make sure he wouldn't tell anyone. She got up quietly and walked toward the room she knew belonged to her friend. She knocked a few times before she heard someone shuffling behind the closed door.

"What is it?" Daisy said in a groggy voice. He fully opened the door and she saw that he was only  wearing boxers shorts. What caught her off guard was the figure sitting in his bed behind him. "Is that Sophie?" She whispered and Daisy's eyes widened. He groaned and nodded. "Don't tell anyone please." He asked her. "Well, speaking of secrets we want kept between us, I really don't want anyone else knowing when my birthday is, okay?" She said with pleading eyes.

Daisy seemed confused for a moment but then he remembered the date. "Happy birthday Molly!" He said and hugged her. She froze for a second before relaxing in his embrace. She thanked him and then asked him again. He promised not to tell anyone and she thanked him again.

Then she went back to her room and sat on her bed. She looked at Brian's sleeping form and sighed. She was always very irritable on her birthdays. One wrong move from his side might destroy their friendship if she didn't control herself. She should shoot up just to stay as calm as possible, she thought. So, she did just that.

When she returned 30 minutes later, Brian was already up. "Good morning." He said groggily. "Morning." She replied. She walked past him and grabbed her smokes. She made herself a Jack and Coke and then went outside. She sat on the floor of their balcony and closed her eyes as she took the first puff of the cigarette. Her head was so pleasantly empty in that moment.

"You started early today, I see." He said as he sat down next to her.

"And apparently I am not the only one." She smiled at him. "Cheers." She said as she lifted glass in the air. He mimicked her action and took a sip.

"So what's the occasion?"

"Ah you know, just celebrating being alive." She said sarcastically.

"You okay?" He asked her.

"Am I ever okay?" She replied.

"That's true but I thought you've been doing better." He retorted.

"I have. Thanks for the concern."

They stayed quiet for a while. She closed her eyes again. She unwillingly inhaled the scent that surrounded him. She still found it intoxicating. It was a pleasant mix of cigarettes, cologne and musk.

Brian was staring at her when she opened her eyes again.

"Yes?" She rose an eyebrow.

"Nothing. I'm just wondering what you're thinking about."

"Nothing of importance."

"Alright." He said.

"Some party we had last night, huh?"

"I wonder if it'll always feel a bit awkward now." She said.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, when we spontaneously find ourselves in a conversation about whatever, it's fine. It's natural. But at times like this when it's just the two of us and we're sort of obliged to converse, it feels a bit awkward. Doesn't it?" She explained.

"You're overthinking it." He chuckled.

"Or maybe I feel guilty and this is how I'm processing it."

"In that case I guess that I should be feeling this way too. The shit that I pulled could be considered far worse."