Chapter 7

{Momoi POV}

I managed to stay still the entire time while waiting for Dai-Chan. It was hard not to just push the teacher down and run in there to save him from...them.

But he came back much quicker than I expected. "Satsuki! Let's go get that drink."

He grabbed my hand, pulling me out of the chair I was sitting on. He pushed past the teacher and we ran towards the vending machines. I tried to look back to see if they left, but he seemed to read my mind:

"Don't look! They're gone already!" He yelled. "Move out of the way! We're coming through!"

Students banged against the walls as Dai-Chan pushed them. Some looked at us weirdly.

"D-Dai-Chan!"

I was panting by the time we arrived. "Geez, you're panting already?"

"You can run over 500 meters without getting out of breath." I informed, leaning on my knees.

"Well, that's true, I DO have more stamina than you do." He said proudly.

"Wow, you, who plays basketball and is an absolute pro has more stamina than your unathletic, female friend. What a thing to be proud of."

He chuckled. "Yeah, well, you're right. You're busty, too."

After giving him a sharp glare, he bought me coffee and we walked to the gym together. There weren't any classes today in there due to renovations in the storage room, which didn't really make sense to me.

At least we got it all to ourselves.

At first, I wanted to go back to the classroom so that we wouldn't be late for class, but he managed to convince me that skipping two or three times wouldn't necessarily affect our education.

So much for getting perfect attendance.

"Mm, tastes good." I muttered, staring off into the distance. We could see mountains from our school roof. "Dai-Chan."

"Sup?"

"What did they ask you?" I wanted to know. "Or more like, what did they say?"

"Mm..." He tapped his lip with the tip of the can. "They told me to let them see you. Called you their 'beloved daughter' or something like that. Why?"

"Nothing, just curious." I said.

They called me their beloved daughter? Really?

"If you're thinking they actually meant the 'beloved daughter' part then you better punch yourself right now."

I lightly punched my head, giving him a small smile. "Oops. Looks like I have."

He crushed the can and threw it behind him. It clanked against the trashcan's walls, making it in. "So, I was wondering."

"Hm?"

"I told 'em their future is in your hands." He said, falling onto his back. "You gonna call Child Services or whatever?"

I stopped. Child services?

"Like...the thing where they protect kids from their parents?"

"Yeah."

Huh...That thought never crossed my mind.

"What happens when I call them?"

He shrugged. "I dunno. They'll probably take you out of the house and make them lose custody of you or something."

"Who am I gonna live with, then?"

"They'll probably put you in an orphanage or something if you're a minor." He said. "But if I can, we can say you're living with me, since I'm on my own and stuff. Or you can go live with my folks."

I gulped. So....there is a solution.

"But..."

"I know. If ya need the time to think about it, go ahead. Since they're your parents and all."

"No..." I gripped his arm. "I do want to report them."

His eyebrows raised. "Seriously?"

"Yeah." I said, nodding. "How do I do it? Do I just call them?"

He coughed, before looking away. "Damn, I'm surprised. I thought you'd say no."

"Why would I say no?" I asked. "They ruined my life. They may have seemed all that when hitting me, but they're really nothing when a bigger force stops them. They're cocky adults who are frightened of people stronger than them."

He stared at me for a good two seconds before bursting out laughing. His laugh echoed in the gym, making me blush slightly. "Great! Let's go get 'em!"

He swung his arm around my shoulders, pulling me close to him. I giggled with him, finally feeling the burden in my chest rise a bit.

. . .

"You said you wanted to call them, though?"

I sighed, setting the phone down. The number was dialed, but I couldn't bring myself to press the call button. "I know, I did. But...now that it's actually come to this moment, I don't think I can do it."

"You want me to do it?"

"No, no, I want to do it... I have to do it." I confirmed, pursing my lips. I leaned forward, leaning my elbows on my knees and covering my face gently with my hands. I could see the light of the lamp on my desk through my fingers. "It's just...I think I need a bit of time to think after all."

"I mean, whatever's cool with you." He said, shrugging. "I'm sleepy, so Imma go to sleep."

"Okay. Thanks for today."

"Yep. G'night." He ruffled my hair before heading out of the room, softly closing the door behind him.

{Aomine POV}

I sighed, leaning against her door.

I guess reporting your parents isn't an easy thing, huh.

I got a message from Tetsu after a few minutes of silently standing there.

From: Tetsu
To: Aomine-kun

How is Momoi-san? I haven't seen you two at all in a while. Are you both alright?

From: Aomine-Kun
To: Tetsu

Yeah, we're ok I guess. She decided to give them a call but she doesn't have the guts yet I'll tell you when she does.

Snapping my phone close, I was about to head to my bedroom when I heard the creaking of my floors in the living room. The bedrooms are blocked by walls so I can't see the other side.

At first, I thought it was just my imagination. This apartment is pretty old, it creaks and rumbles all the time. Yawning, I took a step when a the lightbulb in the hall went out.

"What the—?"

Before I could do anything, a dark shadow appeared in front of me before something hard hit my head.

Everything went black as I slipped into unconsciousness.