Chapter 9

{Aomine POV}

"S-S-Sa-Satsuki...?" I asked, shock overwhelming me. I didn't hear the laughter over the speakers, or the creaking of the open wall, or the disgusting smell of blood, or the gun clinking out of her dead hand.

My hand trembled, reaching over to my childhood best friend.

She's...She's dead...?

No way...No, that's not true. Satsuki's alive...

"O-Oi, stop fooling around..."

I heard footsteps, but I don't think I could process them. My mind was busy trying to go through what happened.

She shot herself.

"Hah!" He walked inside, kicking her leg. "I was kind of hoping for you to be the one to do it, but I guess she felt worthless! Too bad!"

He was laughing maniacally. I felt my hands clench into white balls. If I could kill him right now, I would.

No, no, you have to save Satsuki first...Where did she shoot herself? Her head? Or stomach? Or her heart?

As he walked over to crouch down next to me, another bang echoed into the room. I flinched back, falling onto my butt. I heard a howl of pain as the man pushed back into the chair.

"Dai-Chan! Hurry!" I felt someone grab my hand and pull me up. My legs fumbled after her short, pink hair. I could feel my mind go blank in shock.

...huh?

"Stop staring dumbly at me and come on!" She yelled, and I snapped back to reality, realizing we were at a flight of stairs. "Before he catches up!"

"But—"

Her hand flew right at my head and slapped me firmly in the face. "Snap the fuck out of it!" She yelled. "Are you trying to die?! I'll explain later but there won't BE a later if he catches up!"

We can down the stairs, our hands sweaty. The stairs almost seemed never ending, until we reached a lobby of some kind. A security guard looked at us weirdly as we ran out the door and into the sunlight. There a slight breeze blowing, cooling down our faces as we ran down the familiar street that led straight home.

Her hand never left mine. We finally arrived at a corner since Satsuki couldn't run anymore.

We gasped and panted for breath, leaning against a wall.

"Dai...Dai-Chan..." She said, gasping for air again. "Hospital...We should go...to a hospi..."

Her voice faded, before she slumped down to the floor. Something clattered out of her pocket.

A phone.

I tried to call for her, but I could feel the adrenaline die down. My legs turned to jelly as sweat poured down my face. I took the phone and quickly dialed the first number that came to my mind.

"Daiki?"

"Oi...we're near...my house...help..." I managed to say, before completely collapsing.

. . .

When I came to, the sun wasn't shining in my face. I was in a white room. I already knew where I was.

I sat up, shaking the grogginess away.

"Aominecchi!"

I flinched back, my ears ringing. I looked around to see the guys around the hospital bed. "Hey."

"How are you feeling?" Tetsu asked. His fists were clenched against the sheets. "You were out for a while."

Remembering what happened, I looked around for Satsuki. She was in the bed next to me, a few feet away.

"She fell asleep." Akashi said. "She woke up a little before you to make sure you were okay."

"Stupid, worrying about others." I muttered.

"Can you tell us what happened?" Akashi asked. "What in the world were two up to that you were so beaten like that? And Momoi's body was covered with blood but she had no wound."

After getting a sip of water and a chance to sort of regain my composure, I explained slowly about the past events. It wasn't hard; it was like it was happening right at that moment.

"That...that bastard!" Kise commented. "We should call the police! And get Momocchi out of his custody! And-And—!"

"Ryota, calm yourself." Akashi said. "I'm sure we'll have to do all that once both are discharged."

"You said that she shot herself?" Tetsu asked, looking back at her. "But she doesn't have any wound."

"It wasn't my blood." I flinched, turning my head. Satsuki sat up with difficulty, groaning. "I was trying to sleep..."

"Sorry." I said. "You can go back to sleep...wait, that wasn't your blood?"

"My dad has...hematolagnia." She said, fiddling with her fingers.

"Hema—what?"

"He has a blood fetish." She replied. "He gets off on the sight, smell, and taste of blood."

I cringed. Kise gagged, and Tetsu stared at his wrist.

"That sounds revolting." Tetsu said, looking back at Satsuki. "But how do you know that? Has he attacked you for your blood?"

"I've seen him when I was kid. He...after he hit me, he would lick my blood off his fingers and sort of... smile creepily. Then he started buying pig and cow blood." She looked over at her washed, but stained, sweater. "That's what that was. The building we were inside is a hotel owned by one of his friends, and he had a pack of pigs blood...so I hid it under my sweater and pretended to bleed."

"But...So, you didn't shoot yourself?"

"Of course not...I shot the ceiling while no one was looking. I noticed your body covered me from the camera, so I took my chance when you looked away so your reaction was realistic." She explained slowly. "It made a dent but no one really noticed."

I took a shaky breath. "You...You're an idiot, you know that?"

"An idiot who's saved you." Akashi commented. "I've underestimated how you think, Momoi. You're quite impressive."

"That's a lot, coming from you." 

"Well deserved." Akashi stood up. "We should leave so they can rest. Come on, all of you." 

Like little chicks following their mother, the guys all bustled out of the room, closing the door behind them.