Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

     I neglected my computer.  Turning it on to enter the cyber world sped my heartbeat up and twisted my stomach.  As I sat in the corner of my bedroom and darkness crept in I remembered a dream I had.  Looking back it was clearly a metaphor for how I felt and still feel, but regardless it left an imprint in my mind.

     There was this deranged madman chasing me with needles, wanting to inject me with some sort of chemical.  I don’t know if it was something to disable me or control my mind, but in the dream we were going in circles.  I’d run into some building with no assistance from anyone and then race back out into a dark street where he was magically.  I couldn’t escape.  I was always out of reach, but still he was always there just a few steps behind.

     His eyes were wide and blank.  His face was frozen in some sort of alien state and yet he’d gave me the impression he was insane.  Not to step off the track but it sort of reminded me of a pedophile hunting a child and believe me when I say I have experienced a near kidnapping of a child in a grocery store.  The freak had this glaze in his eyes and made a slow approach of a child and the mother’s instincts kicked in.  She swooped in and began calling for her husband.  The pervert still made a slow approach, but gradually swerved and walked away, leaving behind a cart full of goods.

     I shivered.  Something was chasing me.  It might be mental or perhaps physical, but the dream gave me the sense something or someone was attempting to capture my free mind and body.  Then again it might all be simple paranoia, but…

     I closed my eyes and buried my face in my knees as I curled myself into a ball.  The man who occupied the apartment below me was dead.  Some deranged madman broke in and stabbed him to death.  There were no suspects, no fingerprints, and no clues whatsoever to guide police yet Damon kept swimming through my thoughts. 

     The computer called my attention as I peeked out from behind my knees.  It was just plastic with wires and fiber optics.  It wasn’t the computer itself I then realized.  It was the person behind the computer, the person hiding behind a screen while pretending to be someone else or someone better.

     I am not saying everyone is like that.  I know there are some real people out there surfing the internet.  I am not going to throw everyone into one category.  The danger though is that you just never know who is a true friend and who might be a predator wanting to play.

     It was then a loud knock thrust me into the present.  It was at my front door.  I sat up with my legs tucked under me.  Another knock sounded and another.  I rushed to close my door.  There were no locks to secure it and I backed away.