Reuniting Friends

"Whoa- what?"

Hermione was too surprised to believe it. Ron was going to go to Hogwarts meant.. he was going to leave the Weasleys to complete the studies? But he was never the studious type. And how did he even get permission to return in the middle of school year?

"I know what you're thinking, Hermione. I got the permission from McGonagall to get taught only a few subjects needed to go follow my dreams. Only McGonagall knows about them. And that's because she needed to. Rest, no one else knows anything about them. And I plan to keep my dreams a secret. Perhaps you'll figure them out from the subjects I'm gonna take anyway. You'll know soon my dreams too, but not right now. I'll tell you when the time's about right."

"Ah. Alright."

"Aren't you going to ask me anything else?"

"Anything else? Well, let's see.. uh.. there isn't much I can ask about anyway. Harry keeps me updated about you guys but even he didn't know you were returning."

"Yeah, hadn't told him. But now I have. Both my-I mean-my bestfriend now knows about it and I'm relieved."

Hermione felt a pang in her heart. Was she not worth anything to him anymore?

"We aren't bestfriends anymore. You know that, Hermione. That kiss.. wasn't really a mistake of mine. For the longest time I've had a crush on you and I don't want to move on either. I still am not over you. Why should I? You liked me too. Do you still like me? Knowing that, I can at least know that I have a proper chance with you.. to date you.."

Hermione was even more surprised by now. Had something possessed Ron? He was saying things all at once. But how should she answer him? He didn't view her as just a friend anymore, clearly, and it meant that if she rejected him, he might completely break off his relationship with her. Earlier, the hopes of reuniting with him had kept her going but this now would mean complete cut-off from him. It wasn't that she wasn't over him. She just didn't want to lose him as a friend, as a person.

"Ron, even if it wasn't a mistake from your side, it was for me. I know what I'm saying. I don't know what had happened to me. Perhaps the overwhelming feelings of finding a horcrux and destroying it with my first ever love and with the person I was hoping to unite with in future but the future wasn't visible.. it all combined. It all led to that kiss. And yeah, it was both of us who were involved, so I don't blame you even a bit and I hope you don't blame me either. However..."

Ron kept on looking at her. His heart had stopped beating as he waited for a clear decline of her feelings towards him.
"I need some time to think it all over. But let's be friends again at least. I can't afford to lose you again. This time I'm afraid the loss may last forever."

And she hugged him. So many months of staying away from Ron, making him feel wrecked, herself feeling wrecked, it all had come out as tears from her eyes. She hoped to hear an approval towards her friendship proposal. And that she did when Ron said:

"Alrighty then! The golden trio is gonna be back at Hogwarts, this time full of much more glory and happiness and, hopefully, no distress!"