chapter 21 - the day i've been waiting for (end)

a/n a little bit of author's note before you start our last chapter to tell you that it would be nice if you read the other a/n at the end of the chapter <3

- mi jin's pov -

about 4 months passed, i finally started to accept the fact that y/n was gone. that still doesn't mean i was over it, i'm just simply accepting.

i was carrying a sign from a cardboard box i made earlier, over my shoulders. 'ZOMBIE VICTIM SPECIAL ADMISSION. HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS WHO SUFFERED THE ZOMBIE ATTACK MUST BE GIVEN SPECIAL ADMISSION INTO COLLEGES.' i've been trying to get into college with my current situation--as a survivor. "goodness, my daughter is a senior too. you poor thing." a grown woman approached me while patting my arm and left.

i let out a quick sigh before opening a water bottle lid. "shit." i cursed out of annoyed. "hang in there, you'll get another chance!" i continue to walk around, drinking the water. sun above was burning and i wish this water was cold.

i walk past nam on jo outside a tent before grinning at her with my stupid sign which are meant to be important. i must also mention that this place was boring. not that i wasn't greatful that i was rescued but it's still meaningless without y/n.

everyone was also here, busy with themselves but no one knows what they've been going through. not far away from what i'd been through, i suppose.

i decided to take a few hours rest in my cell before dinner. i spotted on jo talking to su hyeok in the crowd while finding my way to the cells.

- third pov -

"where have you been? i couldn't find you. i saw the others a few time." the boy asked on jo. "i wanted to see our friends, but i couldn't bring myself to. incase it would remind me." she finally answered. "can you forget if you don't see them?" su hyeok questioned back. "i went to the mountain last night and saw a campfire. i think someone lit a fire on the school rooftop." "the rooftop? are you sure?"

"i may be mistaken, but i'm pretty sure." she paused for a bit, "nam ra said we should light a campfire if we ever meet again." they both look around before on jo continue, "i plan to go there tonight." she whispered. "i'll come with you." she nodded to him and began walking off.

"i'm sorry about that day." su hyeok stopped her. "about what?" "that day when nam ra tried to bite you. sorry i couldn't do anything." he apologized. "it's okay. your choice saved us all--don't tell the others. it could be dangerous, so let's go by ourselves." mentioning about their plan tonight. su hyeok nodded before on jo walks off. the girl seem so cold after all of the incidents.

- time skip -
- mi jin's pov -

i've just spent 2 hours mostly zoning out under my blanket. i stayed with ha ri in the same cell since there's limited shelters, but she wasn't here right now. i sit up straight before pulling a small box where i keep some of my other stuff.

i dig into the items to found my old name tag i secretly teared off, off of the school vest i was wearing 4 months ago. i was planning on giving it to y/n but i didnt get to after all.

i could slightly hear the announcement for dinner been announced outside, i still don't feel like lining up for some food tonight. i slide off my thoughts when i heard ha ri opening the door, still holding my own name tag. "the food's ready, you could start lining up." she said coldly with a pursed lips before walking in with her dinner. "why don't you grab one for me too earlier?" i jokingly asks. "you know we can't do that." she quickly answered while getting ready for something. "what are you doing? are you going somewhere?" i asked her while creasing both eyebrows, but she just ignored me and continue doing her shits.