5

After the fiasco at the hospital, Ryujin took Jinni back home. She had yet to prepare for a dinner meeting that she had to attend.

"Can you actually get that spot for Yeji?" Jinni said once they arrived at the penthouse. "I mean, the Auclair Architects have to be the best for a reason. They should be pretty exclusive to say the least."

"We throw in favors here and there," Ryujin said casually, heading towards her room. "Call me if there's an emergency—and please, don't attempt to summon another demon."

Jinni rolled her eyes, plopping down on the couch in the living room. "I just won't hear the end of that, will I?"

Ryujin couldn't help but smile to herself as she started picking out clothes. Although Jinni's first day in Vancouver wasn't exactly pleasant, Ryujin loved the idea of having her younger sister around. It didn't only give her the opportunity to look after her and protect her, Jinni's presence also brought a warmth inside Ryujin that she thought she had forgotten already.

This sisterly affection, however, was challenged the next day when Jinni came home late. It was already past midnight and to distract her mind from thinking of the worst case scenario, Ryujin sat in front of her computer with a glass of whiskey just beside the monitor. Upon hearing the door open—it was a slow and quiet movement probably in hopes not to wake Ryujin up—she almost instantaneously headed to scold Jinni for going home at such an hour.

Ryujin was about to open her mouth when she saw her younger sister with cheeks as red as wine, eyes half open, and a bleeding knee. It would've been a sight of horror if Jinni wasn't smiling like a five-year-old kid, who just saw Santa up close.

Ryujin didn't have to ask.

"It's just a scrape, it's just a scrape," Jinni said as reassuringly as she could, tripping over her own foot.

Ryujin caught her just in time and although she was pissed that Jinni got her worried like this, she took her in her arms and carried her to the couch in the living room.

Jinni was laughing, doing her best to look at her sister with her eyelids betraying her. "I had . . . I had the best night ever, Ryu."

"I'm all into extreme stuff but I don't really count getting a bleeding knee . . . pleasurable," Ryujin said, removing her sister's shoes and tossing them to the side. "But I won't hold it against someone who finds amusement in lighting up ovens on fire."

"Fuck you." Jinni laughed again, her phone bouncing against her stomach as she did. "I met someone."

Ryujin hummed, unsure whether she wanted to hear the story. She wasn't left much of a choice when she went back to Jinni after getting a first aid kit and she was still talking about what happened.

"I asked Lisa which clubs in Downtown she goes to and she offered to go with me," Jinni said, her words slightly slurred.

"You should've let her," Ryujin said distractedly as she began cleaning up Jinni's wound.

"She has a job, Ryu, and it isn't to be my babysitter. Otherwise you wouldn't be hearing this story from me and we all know that I'm the best storyteller."

"Why don't you skip to the part where you spill her name so I can tell her how handful you are?"

"I think it's . . . Sull . . . Sullyoon," Jinni said, suppressing a hiccup and failing. "She's really pretty. Please don't tell her how much of a pain in the ass I am."

Ryujin stopped what she was doing to actually look at her sister. She wasn't the luckiest when it came to romance and she decided to stop giving it a chance at a young age. Besides, those chances never did her anything good anyway. Love did nothing to Ryujin but destroy her, causing chaos in her mind and poison in her heart. As much as possible, she didn't want her siblings experiencing what she did, aware of the lengths of the inevitable pain that came along with love. It wasn't even being attracted to the person that hurt, it was the attachment that was devastating. Ryujin knew how loving someone could be so easy and effortless, but having to detach herself from someone meant breaking every connection that she had with them, no matter how painful it was.