Chapter 5 - The Defining Moment

Just a quick note: "The Talk!" is the name of the show hosting One Direction.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Enjoy the chapter!!

***************************************************************************************

Gwen's POV

I heard soft mumbling as the dim light of day creeped into the tent. Not wanting to wake myself just yet I nuzzled down into my heated sleeping bag, feeling the warmth engulf me as I soundly snoozed. The mumbling I had heard now became louder and I was lightly shaken by strong, rough hands that possessed a gentle, comforting touch. Sliding my blindfold off my tired eyes I yawned and looked around for the reason I was awake at such an hour.

"Hey baby sis .. I know you're tired but you gotta get up. One Direction awaits you and I know you'll need time to ready yourself for them AND the dance competition." a husky, smooth voice spoke to me that I recognized as only my brother's.

"Mhm .. ok, I'm up." I yawned once more while stretching. Looking over expecting to see my best friend soudly sleeping, I was shocked to find her sleeping bag already rolled up and her corner of the tent neatly tidied. Kaylee usually got up before me whenever we had sleepovers or went on trips together, but she would politely entertain herself quietly while waiting for me to break from my slumber.

My confused expression must have resignated with Carter as he spoke, "She is at the hotel. I woke her up first because I know you like your beauty sleep." He said with a smile and a wink, "Now go get ready because the dance competition starts in an hour. I already stood in line for tickets and they're right here in my pocket. And before you ask...yes they are VIP...we are in the first row right up against the stage." He smiled, "But I gotta get this tent off the sidewalk babe there's a mass load of people still waiting in line for tickets comlaining about it taking up too much room."

"Thanks so so much C .. I love you." I said wrapping my arms around my brother. He held me, stroking my hair. 

"Your welcome, baby-doll." He said before placing an innocent kiss on top of my head. With my Dad being out of the picture early on in my life and my Mom having a job that wasn't very flexible, I clung to Carter for everything. He was the one I went to for advice, the one I wanted to be in the audience at my dance recitals, the one who left cute notes in my lunches and the one that I cherished so dearly to this day. Carter was ten times the man my Dad would ever be. I hardly knew my father but walking out on my mother with two kids made him a coward, something Carter could never be.

Gathering my stuff I left Carter to dissemble the tent making my way up to the hotel room. Kaylee was still in the shower so I gathered some black sweats and a cropped 1D tee that would go fabulously with my black converse low-tops from my suitcase before heading across the hall to Carter's bathroom. I leaned my hand into the shower searching for the nozzle, then turned it to warm. I didn't want to take too long so I rushed, then stepped out onto the rug a few minutes later to dry off the moisture that clung to my skin. I then brushed my teeth and dressed myself before twirling in the mirror until I was satisfied I looked alright. Although I do admit I'm beautiful, I still have flaws and insecurities. I'm just better at hiding them then most people, and I know how to take a compliment.

I took out my makeup, and powered up the hair-dryer. The heat burned my neck as I roughly brushed through my thick hair desperately trying to get my hair done properly. I knew I wouldn't have enough time in between the competition and the show to re-do it, so getting it right the first time was my top priority at the moment. Once it was dry I straightened it, pulled it into a neat ponytail, then added a few bouncy curls before nodding in the mirror satisfied with what I had done. Scanning my make-up I decided I wanted to go as natural as possible, showing off the good complexion I was blessed with. I covered my face with a thin layer of concealer, then added some blush to my cheeks before painting over them with foundation, making the bright pink look natural and not as prominent. I finished off the look with some pressed powder to take away the shine and some jet black mascara.