5. so, you're a fan of cake

"Flour, sugar, eggs, and..." Lexi's small voice dragged the last word as she stopped in her tracks. She was trying to recite our shopping list by heart, before we got to our usual go-to grocery store.

I giggled at her and kissed the top of her head before helping her out. "And chocolate."

"Ugh!" She screamed. "How could I forget the chocolate?" She asked while dramatically dragging her hand down her face.

I couldn't help but giggle again.

Making our way to the grocery store for the second time this week, my daughter and I walked by L'Amour, which remained closed, much to our dismay.

I let out a disappointed sigh and found myself tightening my grip around Lexi's tiny hand.

"Mummy, there's a man inside!"

I stopped in my tracks as I looked through the glass doors, following Lexi's index finger that was pointing towards a man, who was indeed, inside the store.

He was crouched down packing some items inside cardboard boxes. I could see a standing electric mixer taking up one box alone, given its size. The box next to that one was still half empty, hence why he was packing it with smaller items. Kitchen ustensiles, from what I could see through the glass.

I felt disappointed again. I guess this view was just, making it more real. The bakery was really closing, forever.

"Mum?" I heard Lexi's voice, repeatedly calling for me.

"Yes, love?"

"Can we go inside and ask the man if he knows when they'll open again?"

"Honey... It doesn't seem like they'll open again." Looking at the disappointed expression on my daughter's face was heartbreaking. "He's packing some pretty important stuff. Stuff that he'd need if he were to keep the bakery open."

"Please?" She moved onto the begging now. With pouting lips and round blue eyes that matched mine, I obliged.

Who could say no to this adorable face?

With every bone in my body telling me that it was a bad idea to do this, I followed my daughter's instincts, and wishes. I took a couple of steps further, walking up to the entrance of the bakery and knocked on the glass door.

The man remained in his place after the first knock. I could see his back rising and then falling, while he probably sighed in annoyance.

Without moving an inch, he just responded out loud, his voice sounding thick like a thunder making itself known. "We're closed!"

I pursed my lips into a tight line and gave Lexi's hand a light, comforting squeeze.

"I'm sorry, Le-"

My daughter's hand interrupted my words as it turned into a fist and knocked on the glass door again. Her knocks sounded a bit more fierce and louder than my previous, polite one.

"Lexi!" I reprimanded her, but you know that they say - what's done is done. And this time it was no exception. Her action was done, and the consequences were coming.

The man got up, standing on his own two feet before turning on his heels and moving towards the door while always looking down. It was only when he opened the front door that he looked up.

And he looked just as surprised as I did when our eyes met.

It was him. It was Sébastien.

At the loss of better words, I chose not to acknowledge the fact that I knew him, and simply apologised for interrupting.