15. all good things come to an end

All good things come to an end and mine and Olivia's girls night out was no exception. Ending our night with some drinks at Covent Garden was a fantastic idea, but it came with a price. And that price was a crowded tube station, so we settled for the bus. After Olivia got off at her stop, I waited two more until it was my turn to push the Stop sign and leave the big red bus, with flashy billboards on the side.

It had been such a long time since I went out without a care in the world, and without having to carry a large purse that could fit everything Lexi might or might not need during an outing (extra tissues, her tablet, a notepad with blank pages and some crayons, you know the drill...).

I missed it and, after the first round of drinks I started to feel really good about Olivia pushing me into asking Seb to watch Lexi so I could go out with her tonight.

I tightly wrapped my arms around my middle as the cold London night air breeze was starting to tickle my skin, while I made my way home. I fished my small handbag for the keys and once I found them, I opened the front door of my home and walked inside the warm and cosy room.

Right after closing the door behind me, I found Sébastien standing in the hallway with a kitchen towel dangling in his hand, and his blonde hair looking dishevelled on top of his head.

"Bienvenue chez toi." His smile was wide and bright. "That means welcome home."

"Ah." I said in realisation. "You learn something every day."

I slid my feet off of my heels that were killing my toes, and tossed them into the corner of the room, before sighing in relief at the feeling of my bare feet on the floor, finally unconstricted.

"Did everything go okay tonight?"

"Yes! Lexi is an angel." He looked up at the wall and I followed his gaze, finding the big white clock that had just struck eleven. "I've just put her to bed. I know that's a bit later than the bedtime you instructed but she wanted to stay up and help me with my desserts."

"Oh, really?" I remembered the boxes Sébastien had brought with him when he got to my place, desserts that he had been creating and trying out.

"Yes." He nodded. "She's one hell of a critic."

I coughed out a laugh. Knowing my daughter like the back of my hand, this information didn't shock me.

"Don't tell me she bruised your Parisian baker ego."

"Not at all!" He went back to cleaning some of the dishes he had just washed. "I love a good critic, and I appreciate it when they're right. Lexi helped me perfect the meringue recipe."

I made my way to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water, taking a long sip before he spoke up again.

"By the way, you got a call." He pointed his chin in the direction of the landline phone that stayed on a small table by the stairway, next to where I usually kept the keys and letters. "I know I shouldn't have answered but I thought it would be important."

"That's okay." I removed my jacket, placed it on the back of one of the chairs, and smiled. "Who was it?"

"It was from prison."

"What?" I was sure all the colour drained from my face the moment he said those words. I tried to focus on my breathing and to think clearly but I was unable to. My heart physically hurt, as it was being pressed too tightly against my chest.

"Oh don't worry." He said, immediately sensing my state of discomfort. "They said it was a mistake."

"A mistake?"