8. the customer is always right

"I can't believe we failed to work the same shifts this week." Olivia commented while she swirled the tea bag inside the large cup filled with hot water.

"I know. But hey, at least, you're free tonight." I said while I tied my blonde hair into a tight bun.

I was going to work this evening's shift, which meant that I needed someone to watch over Lexi.

And also Leo and Violet.

Lucas and Nicole were having a date night tonight - to celebrate some anniversary of theirs, probably a kiss -, and they needed me to watch over my niece and nephew. However, I had to work tonight's shift, and Olivia was going to watch out for the three of them.

My brother and Nicole knew Olivia and they loved that Lexi talked so greatly about spending time with her - my friend -, so they felt more than happy to leave their children under her care.

"I love watching over these little angels." She said with a smile. "Plus, it's some extra money."

Olivia never accepted money from me whenever I tried to pay her for watching Lexi, but she accepted it when Lucas and Nicole insisted on paying her a fair 8£ per hour.

"Alright, you be good for Liv, okay?"

"Yes, mummy." Lexi nodded before wrapping her arms around my waist. I took the opportunity to bend down and kiss the top of her head.

"That means you too." I pointed at Leo who gave me a toothless grin. "Be the gentleman I know you are."

"Just go, Mel. They'll be fine."

I quickly hugged Leo and kissed Violet's head before turning around.

"Olivia, are you really sure this is not too much? I mean, you've been working all week."

"Considering I'll be getting some extra money tonight for watching over three little angels, who I'll only have to feed dinner and put to bed in about," She glanced at the black plastic clock on her wrist. "Three hours... It is not too much, it's just perfect."

I should be walking out the door right now to go to work, so I had no other choice but to take her word for it. I thanked her once again and waved Olivia goodbye.

After getting in the driver's seat and turning up the music in the car's radio, I hit the road. As I arrive at my destination, I park outside, near the restaurant's entrance, and I can already see that it's going to be a busy shift.

It's a Saturday evening, after all. Dinner times these days are always hectic.

Grabbing my bag that was resting on the passenger's seat, I walked out the vehicle and made my way towards the back entrance.

Upon my entrance, my colleague Jackson was already looking tired and most of all, impatient about my arrival.

"Thank God you're here." He said as he walked inside the back room, an exasperated expression on his face.

"I'm your saviour." I opened my arms. "First evening shift in a while?"

"Yes!" He responded. "I've been gone for two weeks for my honeymoon in Mexico doing absolutely nothing. First shift back should be hard but it didn't need to be this hard."

I chuckled while I carefully organised my belongings inside the locker and closed it behind me. I picked up the apron and wrapped it around my waist.

"What matters is that you survived." I offered him a smile and patted him in the back as I walked away and faced the music.

I took a quick glance around the room, taking in the surroundings and trying to see what would be my first order of business upon starting my shift tonight.