Chapter Thirty Seven | This isn't a Date

"Is there anywhere you want to go?" Miya asked as he picked up his skateboard.

You shrugged and let your eyes scan the area. When was the last time you actually just walked around the city? Had you ever actually done it at all? "Um, I'm not sure. Shindo normally plans our hangouts and since it's just us two..."

Then you realized. It was just you and Miya. By yourselves.

Your face began to burn and you turned away from Miya with your hands on your cheeks. Cool down, face! This isn't a date, this isn't a date! You're just getting to know him, Y/N!

"You good?"

"Huh? Yeah, I'm fine."

The call with Kotaro was a lot longer than you thought. He said a lot to you, and you answered back wholeheartedly, even though you heard Hina and Shindo on the other side of the door.

He told you to keep your friends close.

"That Miya boy... he cares a lot about you. You should keep him close to you while you can."

You looked across the street and your eyes lit up. "Miya, Miya!" You took his hand. "There's a Japanese cafe!"

"Yeah, we're in Japan..."

But you dragged him across the street and into the cafe. "There's almost no little cafes like this in Canada!"

He sighed and followed you to the line. "It's not that cool."

You stiffened. "Right... yeah, sorry."

And he felt bad. For a moment, he forgot that you came to Japan less than a year ago. Crap. "No, sorry, it's... it's cool. I just go to them often so I... sorry."

You smiled a bit and hid your hands behind your back. "Fine... but you're paying."

"What?!"

"I'll take that as compensation. Unless... you want to compensate in another way?"

His face glowed red and he stepped back. "W-What?! What are you talking about?!" You tilted your head. "I... didn't think you'd get so startled. Did I poke a nerve?"

"I- Uh... no, you didn't." How embarrassing...

You and Miya considered each other as a close friend, but neither of you have ever hung out alone together... at least, not since your first day in Japan, back at the skate park.

"...Remember when we actually met at the skate park?" You mumbled while staring up at the menu. "When we really weren't that close, and I only knew you as a friend of Langa's, while you only knew me as an idol?"

He nodded quietly. He wasn't really thinking about the meeting, but more what happened. He could picture it perfectly.

A little past eight o'clock and his parents weren't home, so he was locked out. He was planning on going to the skate park but went a little further and went to the one closer to Langa's house.

You were sitting there so peacefully. You didn't have any makeup on, you didn't have some sort of disguise with a mask or sunglasses, you didn't have this odd plastic grin, it was just... natural.

All he remembered thinking was that you looked beautiful.

Now, you didn't wear a mask or sunglasses, but you didn't care about the stares you got. You seemed genuinely happy.

"...Why are you staring at me like that?"

"Oh, I was staring?" Miya rubbed his eyes and looked away. "Sorry, I sort of blanked out."