09 | first rule of roadtrip

EVERETT fluttered his eyes open.

He yawned and was about to lift his arm when he felt something holding his arm tightly. He looked to his side and widened his eyes. It wasn't something, it was someone. He bit his lips, unsure if he should move or not. He wanted to get up and call that mechanic but if he moved, she'd wake up which he didn't want to happen. Confused, he sighed and took a quick glance at her—his mind was more peaceful than ever.

The blanket had slipped down below his knees but he couldn't care less. A quick glance turned into a longing stare in less than a minute. He hadn't been this close to anyone in a while. And maybe for a moment, it felt nice. She snored in a low, guttural voice a few times. Everett watched her, a dry chuckle leaving his mouth.

His skin was on fire and he didn't know why—it could be the sun or being held on to for the first time in years. He peered his eyes away from her soft face to his phone. He was about to pick it up to check the time when Aahana moved and lay on her back, still asleep. Her one hand was still around his. His lips curled up while he checked the time.

6.53 a.m. The mechanic should be here in a few minutes. He thought.

Aahana mumbled something so he looked back at her. She was awake. She yawned and looked at him. She furrowed her eyebrows--possibly reeling from her post-asleep haze. A second or two later, she broke into a smile.

"Good morning, Aahana," he said.

"Good morning, Everett. Are you—" She playfully squinted her eyes. "Were you watching me while I was asleep, Edward Cullen?"

"Don't be so full of yourself, Bella Swan." He chuckled. "I would get up but..." he trailed off and eyed his arm, surrounded by hers. She clicked her tongue and pulled her hand away. Everett sat up and stretched. He stared out of the back window before wearing his t-shirt from last night.

Aahana sat up and yawned. "Looks like our mechanic guy is on time," she said, staring out. A man rode on his motorbike and parked near them with a can of fuel. Everett opened the back door and got down. He thanked the man and paid him the required amount. He filled the tank of his van and sighed in relief.

"We're good to go." He smiled and walked to the front to top in the car. He started driving with a shrill of cheer leaving their mouths. Aahana folded the mattress and blankets and fixed her tangled hair. They didn't bother to change since they were stopping by at a hotel once they reached Peakview.

Everett started humming the song playing on the radio when he felt an elbow bump into his arm. He didn't have to look over his shoulder to know that Aahana had her elbows resting on the seat with her head on her arms. He looked in the rearview mirror to find her eyes closed, her hair a tangling mess–yet he didn't think she was any less pretty.

"Do you ever feel lonely?" Her words cut his thoughts.

What the heck was he doing?

"Where's that coming from?" He laughed–taken aback by her.

She shrugged. "I don't know. I would've been pretty bored if I were to travel around all alone."

Everett bit his lips, her eyes now back on the road. "Um, well, I am not alone. I have my van, the sun, the trees and the memories of people I left behind. I am never alone. Each day is an adventure. There are so many new experiences, people, and food waiting for me ahead." His eyes were fixed on the wide road. The sun warmed his body, like everyday–but his body was already on fire. All of his blood was rushing to one certain area on his shoulder.

Their point of contact.

"What about the old ones?"

"You won't understand, Aahana. Drop it."

"Make me understand." She straightened and leaned forward from the back of the van, looking dead into his eyes. "You don't regret it? Even in the slightest? Nothing ever makes you want to stay?" Her voice was soft but strong. She demanded an answer and he knew she wouldn't back away until she heard the truth.

He didn't dare to look at her. He simply shook his head. "No."

"Why?"

"Because I can't." His voice breathless. He wanted her to stop asking. He didn't want a trip down the same emotions he feels when he lets himself feel lonely. No, he isn't lonely. He has the sun, the van, the memories. He isn't lonely. He has never been. This was his dream. He is enjoying it. He loves every part of it.

He does. He does. He does.

"What do you mean y–" Aahana paused when she saw a large number of cars scattered on the wide road along with construction trucks. Everett killed the engine and stopped the van, jerking them forward by the sudden halt. "What's going on?"

"Looks like the road is being reconstructed. We have to turn around."

"Hey, what? No. First rule of road trip? Never turn around," She said. "Seriously–how are you even a travel blogger?"

"There's no other way, Aahana. And don't teach me about my job."

"There's this way." She smiled and pointed at the GPS of the van.

Everett studied the map and widened his eyes. "Oh, no, no. This will take us more than a day. We are turning back around now." He brought the engine to life and looked behind, checking for the cars behind.

"Hey, please, Everett. What's a road trip if it doesn't last longer than a day?" Aahana's voice was soft, as if she was requesting him.

Well, that's a first.

"Please?"

Fuck, not the puppy eyes,

Her small hand found its way to his shoulder, giving him a light squeeze. "Everett, this is the only good thing that happened to me this summer. Please?"

Everett tsked. "Goodness, woman." He sighed and turned back to the road to move forward. "I'm really starting to regret letting you come with me." He felt a bright sunny smile on her face.

"No, you don't," she joked.

He definitely does,

Doesn't he?