05 | never ever call Everett Ever

"WE should make a quick stop at the next diner. There are little to no restaurants after that," Everett said, his eyes scanning the road.

Aahana hummed as a response since she was busy tapping her foot at the upbeat song that was playing on repeat upon her request. Everett stifled his involuntary smile when his eyes landed on a diner. He turned the steering wheel and parked the van. The song that he assumed to be her new favourite died and she frowned.

"You could've waited for a few minutes," she complained as he jumped out of the car and banged the door shut.

His stomach growled. "We could always replay it." She got out of the car. Her hair swung as she walked into the diner. Everett followed after locking his van.

The diner wasn't crowded. Just a couple of customers and two servers with one cashier near the cash counter. Aahana chose the booth in the centre of the diner. He took a deep breath—inhaling the mixed smell of cheeseburgers and milkshakes. The diner reminded him of his hometown. They had an identical diner back in his town and being here refreshed him with a new set of memories—both good and bad, his favourite chocolate milkshake, his first break-up and how can he forget, his last—

"I'm spray painting your car." Aahana glared at him.

"What?"

"Really? Out of all the stupid things I asked, that earned me your attention."

"What did you ask before that?"

"What's your last name? What is your favourite song? Are you listening to me? Would you like to have kids with me? You didn't respond. You zoned out."

He shrugged. "Well, then, of course, the van one fell on my ears. My van is everything to me. I love it."

She raised her eyebrow suggestively. "Does it have a name?"

He made a face of distaste, picking the menu card from the stand and opening it. "Why does it need a name? That's kinda childish." He lied. He had already named his van but didn't want her to know.

He scanned the list of items. "It is not!" Aahana sounded offended. "I've named all the things that I love. Even the trees that we passed by."

He scrunched up his nose, denying to answer. Aahana blew a breath and banged both of her hands on the table, making him almost flinch.

"Easy there, Rosa Diaz."

Aahana tried to hide her smile but failed terribly. "Gosh, I hate that you used the reference of my favourite show. But as I was saying, naming things shows that you care. Besides, naming is an art. Any object that becomes known to human intelligence must possess a name," she explained.

"Fine."

"What's your last name?"

"Miller."

"How about, um, I don't know, Milo—it is similar to your last name."

He shook her head.

"Ira?"

He cringed. "Sounds girlish."

"Meadow? It sounds good."

"Let's think about it after we eat. I'm starving right now." Everett waved at a server. The old lady in a light green apron smiled and approached them.

"Hi. I'm Jenny. What would you like to order?" Jenny said while taking a notepad and pen out of her apron pocket.

"A cheeseburger and the coldest beverage available," Everett ordered.

"I'll go with the same. Thank you." Aahana smiled. Jenny scratched their orders on her notepad and walked away. Aahana peered at Everett and raised her eyebrows.

He was unable to read what she tried to convey. "What?"

"Too bad you left Meadow out in the sun."

Everett rolled his eyes. "You had decided that name beforehand, hadn't you?"

She giggled. "Yessir."

About fifteen minutes later, their orders came in and they both dug in. The cheeseburger was truly delicious—probably Everett's favourite one in the last two months. He glanced at Aahana eating her food clumsily and slurping her drink with a loud noise. He cringed but decided not to point out that minor pet peeve to her. It seemed as if she was having the time of her life.

After splitting the bill, they walked back to his van—whose real name he still hadn't shared—and hopped in but this time, Aahana insisted on driving despite Everett's protests.

*

"Relax. I'll take care of your baby!" She had extended her hand, asking for the keys.

Everett huffed. "Every time someone says this confidently, they mess up. I'm not willing to take any chances."

"Get your possessive ass to sit on the passenger's seat because I'm not everyone. I'm Aahana Mehta—who never messes things up."

"I don't believe you."

"Learn to." She winked.

"Stubborn." He thrust the keys in her hands.

"Possessive." She chuckled and opened the door. Everett jumped into his van, praying that they don't crash.

*

"See, I'm good at this. I didn't crash." She blew a kiss at herself from the rearview mirror.

"Yet," He mumbled.

"Trust people, Ever. You'll get nothing by not pulling your guard down." Her eyes were glued to the road.

He clicked his tongue. "Well, at least I won't get hurt and please, don't call me Ever ever again." He damn well knew he added the last part of ease up the previous statement.

"First I didn't get to call you Everetti and now no Ever. Congratulations, you're the most boring person I've ever met."

"I don't need any nicknames. Everett is fine." He folded his arms over his chest and averted his eyes out of the window, gazing at the clear sky.

"I'm starting to second this decision of running away with you." He heard her comment. He pressed his lips shut, trying not to smile.

His eyes followed the running trees as it began to darken. If they would've taken the other road, they would be watching the sunsets by now. He reminded himself that Robert Frost didn't write the poem The Road Not Taken for no reason. Moreover, Aahana wasn't a bad company. If he was being honest with himself, he was enjoying a little more with each passing hour. Don't get him wrong, she still annoyed the heck out of him but it seemed a little infrequent now.

He smiled a little at himself when she wasn't looking and pulled his laptop from his bag. He rolled his head twice and began to type his blog after wearing his reading glasses.

heyyo! Who do you imagine Everett Miller as? I kinda imagine him as a mixture of Finn Collins from the 100 and Peter Kavinsky from To All The Boys

anyway, how have ya been doing? what are you reading lately? I've been reading A Hand on the Wall by Maureen Johnson and I love it! She is one of my favourite authors.

[ don't forget to vote and comment! ]