04 | yellow melodies

SHE had taken a risky step—running away with someone she barely knew. She hoped her impulsive acts wouldn't lead her to a brutal mistake. She didn't Everett but he didn't necessarily threaten her sense of safety. She was ready to take a risk.

Yesterday, when Everett left for his van to plan the trip, she had already guessed he would leave the next day. Everett was restless and curious—she knew it the time he took out his phone to check if Peakview was really famous. Her town, Oakside, doesn't have anything special except for its people and Christians parades. Peakview, on the other hand, had many things that would amuse him. She knew he would be excited. And her guesses turned out to be correct.

She talked to her Aai about it, the only person who'd give her unbiased advice. Aahana wished she could go there with her, just like old times but she simply couldn't.

*

"Go for it!" Aai cheered with a smile lingering on her small face. Despite being told to be on bed rest and having an awful sickness, Aai always seemed to have energy.

Aahana frowned. "Are you sure?"

Aai blew a breath. "Are you worried that this guy would do something to you?" She asked while interlacing her hands in hers.

"For some reason, he is the least of my concerns. I'm worried that Ma and Papa will be furious when I return. But then again, I need this. I can't be grounded here for the rest of the summer."

Aai tilted her head and gaped at her with soft eyes. "Do what your gut tells you to do. I can handle your parents. I don't want you to stay here because I am sick. You're not going to be eighteen forever, right?" Aahana nodded.

*

I'm not going to be eighteen forever, she thought and sighed.

"How old are you?" She asked when she realised that they have been dreadfully silent for the past few minutes. Everett glanced at her through the rearview mirror while tapping his long fingers on the steering wheel.

"Don't you think it's too early to ask?" He said sarcastically. Aahana narrowed her eyes.

"Big ol' man tryna be funny," she deadpanned. "Nice." Everett, whose rare grin had formed on his face, managed to falter away in a matter of seconds. He rolled his eyes.

"How old are you?" She repeated.

"I'm stuck with you for sometime. You'll find that out eventually," he said. His eyes were glued to the road but he glanced at her at times.

Aahana stuck her tongue out at him and turned towards the window. She hummed a song while feeling the air swish through her. She stuck her head out a little and smiled. She has always been fond of road trips, but she never actually got a chance to go on one. Her parents are very protective of her. They would never allow her to go anywhere without them.

"Do you have any music to play?" Aahana questioned. Everett nodded. "Open the dashboard. There are a bunch of CDs. If you don't like any, play the radio."

Aahana pushed the dashboard and it opened with many CDs popping out. She scrutinized the CDs—none of the bands or artists was familiar, so she randomly picked one and began to play the songs. She swayed her head at the melody.

"What song is this? I love it!" Aahana tapped her finger on her knee as the beats played.

"Slow down by why don't we. You've never heard of it?" She shook her head. Everett turned the volume up and began to sing along with the lyrics in a low voice, probably as a reflex. Aahana was impressed. He sang pretty well even though she barely heard him over the loud music.