11 | stay stay stay

THE thought of someone else being in his bathroom was too much for him. There was an unexplainable intimacy in letting her use his bathroom while he transferred his photographs from his camera to his laptop. It was something couples did, wasn't it? He was most likely over reacting. He doesn't remember being physically close to someone for more than a day. He never stayed someplace for more than a week, never with the same hookup for longer than a night. He always walked away, never returning again.

They approached a table and flipped through the menu. Aahana ordered pancakes and coffee while Everett chose an omelette and plain sugar. As soon as the waiter with neon green hair and an unused packet of cigarettes under his notepad walked away, Aahana gave him a look.

"Omelette and milk?" She repeated his order. "You don't even have to try to be boring."

"Are you always this judgemental or am I your special victim?" He countered. The canteen chimed when a pair of muscled dudes walked inside. The men, with chiselled jaws and black t-shirts that barely fitted their broad chest, sat four tables away from theirs in the empty canteen. One of the men pulled his sunglasses down and made direct contact with Everett, a predator looking at its prey-–ready to hunt, ready to tear limb from limb.

"Who are you looking at?" Aahana was about to turn around when Everett quickly grabbed her hand, shaking his head. A grave look on his face. "Everett, you're scaring me. What's wrong?"

"Is there another exit other than where we came from?" His eyes didn't leave the men's.

"Um, yeah. Behind you. About seven tables away. Why?" There was visible confusion and fear in her voice.

"Now, listen to me. Do you have your stuff with you?"

"Just my phone and wallet. My bag is in my room."

"Shit." Everett bit his tongue. He processed his thoughts for a minute. "Leave your bag in the room. We'll come back for it later. Once our food comes, eat it fast, okay? Don't make any sudden movements and if I say run, just run. Back to Breezy. Got it?"

"Yeah but—"

"I'll tell you why once we're away from here."

Much to his surprise, she simply nodded. No further questions asked. Soon, their food came in and as discussed, they ate the food in silence. Everett frequently looked at the men. The two men were sitting silently, staring at their seats. When their food didn't come even after Everett and Aahana were done, his suspicions were confirmed. The waiter walked with the bill and in the moment to reach for the bill, the men began to stand up. Everett grabbed the milk glass with one hand and Aahana's arm with the other.

"Run," he shouted and in the flash of moment, he threw the glass towards them and they ran through the other exit. He heard the glass shatter but he didn't look back. All he cared for was the girl running with him and reaching his van as quickly as possible. He spotted Breezy under the banyan tree, safe and sound. He dug his hand in his pockets and pulled his keys out. Everett thrusted the keys in the door and pried it open for Aahana who quickly climbed inside. He hopped in and started the car. His Breezy didn't betray him and brought the engine to life in a millisecond. He paused to look at the men running to Breezy. He made an easy drift and drove off.

"Are they following us?" He asked hurriedly. Aahana pushed her head out of the window to look back. She shook her head with an inaudible sound of negation and Everett relaxed on his seat. She sat back and stared at him.

"Who are you?" Fear and dread in her voice. "Why were we being chased? Everett, are you a shady dude? Do you owe them any money?"

"What? No!" He said. "Calm down. I think they were local robbers. They come to such motels and diners and rob the people on a road trip. I'm sure the motel owner already knows them."