08 | imagination running wild

TWENTY minutes ago Aahana had climbed on top of the van.

Fifteen minutes ago she had peeped down to find Everett reading a book.

Ten minutes ago she was laying on the van and staring at the sky.

And five minutes ago, she was debating whether to climb down or not.

When she was teasing Everett about dirty talk—she didn't actually think he would begin to dirty talk. She was surprised. She made fun of him just because she was enjoying his red face. She couldn't help but choke on the granola bar when he threw her his vivid imagery. It only got worse when she started imagining that too—in complete detail.

She took a deep breath and sat up.

How about I casually go and try to have a normal conversation? No, no. Maybe I should just go to bed. Oh, damn—we've decided to sleep together. Should I tell him to switch turns? Nah. Nah. The awkwardness would peak up. Uh-man. Why did I start talking about sex?!

Her thoughts were running wild. She took a deep breath, calming her nerves. She made her final decision and hopped down (half-scared and a half because of adrenaline).

Everett was still reading a book. She wanted to ask which one but decided against it. A few brown curls fell down in front of his eyes. He ran his fingers through his hairline. His round-rimmed glasses resembled the ones that Harry Potter uses. Everett closed the book and closed his eyes while taking his glasses off. He cocked his head behind and rubbed his forehead.

"You okay?" Aahana asked and finally opened the door. She didn't sit in. He snapped his head towards her and blinked.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm good."

"You should go to bed. Seems like your head is hurting."

"Yeah, a little but I'm fine. I'm not sleepy yet. You can go to bed. I will sleep with you when I feel like it—oh, my God. I didn't mean it that way. I'm sorry. I just...I'm sorry." He swallowed.

Her lips curled up a little. "Everett, go to bed," she ordered.

"What about you?"

She chewed the inside of her mouth. "I'll, ah, I'll have one more bar and then sleep."

He laughed wholeheartedly. "Gosh, you are always hungry." He opened his bag and tossed her a bar. "Here, have this one. It tastes the best."

Aahana tore the plastic open and took a bite. Mhmmm," she moaned. "This is so delicious. I thought it would taste like shit."

"I recommend not using those words while eating." She laughed. She finished her bar in a few minutes and climbed into the back of the van. She laid the mattress out and lied down while pulling up a peachy blanket on top of her. Although she was trying to sleep, she knew she couldn't. She had forgotten to bring her stuffed bear and sleeping without anything to hold on to was almost impossible for her.

"Are you sleeping or not?" She questioned Everett who was staring at the darkness of the wilderness.

"Nah, I'm good."

She blew a breath out. "Pfft. Don't feel awkward, okay? I'm fine with us sleeping beside each other. It was my choice. I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that you aren't sleeping because of me." Everett turned to her.

He gave it a thought. "Okay."

He rolled the windows up and climbed behind. He lied beside her and didn't take the blanket. They both were staring at the top of the car silently. They could hear the frequent sound of wind swishing through the leaves. At times, chills would run down her spine.