13 | how to get killed

EVERETT thought of Aahana. She must've been on her way back to Oakside. He was finding it difficult to believe that he was missing her. Though their encounter was short, he enjoyed every bit of it. She was a spark of light. He was bittersweet about being alone. He knew that this feeling wouldn't last, that in a couple of days Aahana would be nothing more than a fragment of a memory, an experience, a small imprint on his life—that he would forget this feeling but he wanted to cherish this bittersweet feeling. He didn't feel it often.

He swayed his head to the soft French song playing on the radio when his eyes averted towards the rearview mirror. He laughed at himself when he saw a girl with short shaggy brown hair on a bicycle. He laughed and made an internal joke by calling himself a wizard for he summoned a splitting image of Aahana.

He shook his head and concentrated on the road ahead. The sun had begun to settle. He planned to have dinner in the next town and continue with his roadtrip. He wasn't tired and slept plenty last night. He could reach Peakview early in the morning, watch the sunset and leave immediately for the concert in the city. He smiled at the thought.

All of a sudden, he noticed that the girl who was behind him was ahead of him. He still couldn't gulp the feeling that she looked way too similar to Aahana when she took a quick drift in front of his van. He panicked and pushed the brake, his heart pounding. He jerked forward and wanted to curse at the idiocy of the girl. He looked back at the girl and he finally saw her face.

He hadn't summoned someone like Aahana. He summoned Aahana herself.

He jumped off of his van in anger. "Are you fucking kidding m—" He paused when Aahana's lips curled up in a relieving smile and threw her arms around him. She melted in his arms—her body wet with sweat. He wanted to hug her back but instead, he pushed her away. His arms clutching her shoulders. "Do you know how stupid that was? Why the heck did you jump in front of my van? Are you trying to get yourself killed?" He shouted.

She gave him a weak smile. "I knew you won't let anything happen to me."

Everett's mouth fell open. His voice was softer now. "Why did you come back?"

"Aw, you make it sound like you missed me," she teased.

"I wouldn't dare." He smiled. He was lying and he sure as hell knew that she knew he was. "Did you cycle your way from the station? Have you eaten anything? Had water? You look dehydrated and horrible..." He snickered as he added the next part. "As always."

"The morning's pancakes were delicious."

"You haven't had anything at all after that?"

She shook her head. "I wanted to find you," she whispered under her breath, her eyes falling on the ground.

"Aw, you make it sound like you missed me." he smirked. "Now, get your ass in Breezy—" she lifted her chin up, a mischievous look on her face. "--don't joke about it." He said after replaying what he had said. "I am mad at you. Go sit inside. We're done travelling for the day, let's stop at the next motel we find."

She didn't argue. She dragged herself to the van while Everett parked the bike aside. He wanted to ask whose bike it was but by the time he sat inside, Aahana was snoring loudly. He smiled to himself and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. His eyes widened when he realised what he had done.

No, no. He can't catch feelings for her. It was a luxury he couldn't afford. He told himself that she was just another temporary person in his life. He took a deep breath in and brought the engine to life.

But despite what he told himself, there was a tiny smile on his face.