Chapter 10

"Finals are o-ver!" I sigh with a smile when I meet up with Lucas at my locker on Tuesday afternoon, a few days later after leaving my Spanish 2 classroom for the last time

"Finals are o-ver!" I sigh with a smile when I meet up with Lucas at my locker on Tuesday afternoon, a few days later after leaving my Spanish 2 classroom for the last time. I'm wearing my heather gray knit cotton-blend top with a crew neckline and a flounced hemline I have paired with my dark blue wash pair of cuffed high-rise denim shorts with whiskering on the front and a ripped detail above the hemline on the right side. My brown pair of white braided, faux-leather sandals with t-straps are on my feet and I have my ultra-oversized polished black square sunglasses with dark smoke lenses atop my head. My hair is pulled back in a braid, minimal makeup covers my face while my pair of silver cubic zirconia pave studs adorn my ears.

Between the drama with Nichole, Carson and Grace, I couldn't be more ready to kiss the Henry Clay campus goodbye for the summer, let alone forever.

It also happens to be Austin's seventeenth birthday today, one he's not wanting to do anything for, but we've convinced him to at least let us all get together at Whitney's house since she has a pool we can abuse. Little does he know we also got him a cake and some presents, which he'll probably throw a stink over, but oh well, it's the least we could do for the shit school year he's had.

Our families and the two of us got back from Pimlico on Sunday midafternoon and since then, it has been a long few days - even without a time difference, jet leg is a bitch - since then with finals having taken place the past two days.

Not to mention the little bomb that the New York Racing Association announced yesterday.

They have banned Bob Baffert, everyone on his team and his horses from all of the New York tracks indefinitely, relying on what the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission finds in their ongoing investigation. Choosing to leave the end date up in the air means Bob has a high chance of missing the Belmont Stakes in less than three weeks now.

Dave O'Rourke, the President and CEO of the NYRA said in a statement that they have a duty to keep racing successful in New York, they have to protect the integrity of horse racing for everyone and action needs to be taken to do so.

Bob Baffert and his team haven't said anything, probably tucking their tails between their legs and hiding from the backlash this most recent drugging scandal has caused.

Did I mention I'm not Bob Baffert's biggest fan?

"Thank God," Lucas chuckles, leaning down to kiss me hello. He's dressed in his dark teal short sleeve top with a crew neckline he's parried with his very dark blue washed pair of relaxed-fit low-rise denim jeans. The boots I got him for our anniversary are yet again on his feet, quickly becoming his go-to every day pair of boots.

"Hey." I huff when I break the kiss. "You only have one year left of this shit. I have two!" I shove two fingers in his face for emphasis.

"Perks of being a year older."

"Old man," I mutter under my breath, spinning to open my locker.

Lucas's teeth graze my earlobe, voice lowering to a whisper. "We'll see about that when I'm buried inside of you tonight." His body pressed up against mine, hands tightly grabbing my waist to hold me still. "I'll last longer than you."