Chapter 11

Later that night, on our way to Shadow Ridge so I can drop Kaylin at home, I turn off the road at the same spot from our anniversary date

Later that night, on our way to Shadow Ridge so I can drop Kaylin at home, I turn off the road at the same spot from our anniversary date. In the same general area from that night, I put my truck in park and shut off the engine, leaving my keys in the ignition so the music of our shared Spotify playlist on shuffle can still play through my speakers.

Back at Whitney's house, we kept Austin's birthday celebrations on the downlow after the girls finished with their TikTok dance shenanigans.

He really didn't want to do anything for his birthday, which was already a bit normal for him I guess even before everything from last semester, but he still enjoyed the cake, ice cream and the presents we had all gotten for him.

I don't blame him for his feelings, but I also feel that he needs to get over everything that went down with Grace, Carson and him. I know it wasn't good to hold onto shit like that, but it definitely isn't my place to tell him what to do about his feelings.

Thinking back to how I fucked up last year with Kaylin and we broke up, even if it was only for one single fucking day, I kicked myself for it almost instantly. I'd been wrong to react that way towards her and I knew that then, but my ugly temper got the best of me. It wasn't fair to her and the last thing I want to do is hurt her in any way. Which is something I never want to experience again.

Kaylin's past relationship history isn't great, thanks to that asshat ex of hers, Jesse, who only wanted sex from her at the end of the day and I threw it back in her face, multiple times like a fucking asshole. She's my fucking world and I'll be dammed if I ever treat her like that way again. She won't hesitate to drop me again, only to circle back around so she can kill me more than likely.

I've worked hard on keeping my temper in check, and I like to believe it's definitely been working in my favor, as long as Carson Hall isn't in my line of sight. Thar disgusting asshole can go straight-

"Whatcha thinking about?" Kaylin questions me, pulling my focus to her instantly. Everything about her posture in her seat told me she's tired, so I'm not going to push my luck tonight, but I definitely want to hold her for a bit. She's back in the clothes she wore at school since we both changed before we left Whitney's house, not wanting to sit in damp swimsuits for a twenty plus minute drive.

Maybe sneak in some kisses here and there too. Whatever she'll let me have.

It's late, almost 11:00 pm, and even though her parents expect her to be home later than normal considering we were all hanging out, I don't think they imagined her to be out even later just so I could spend some time alone with her.

Sex or no sex, I just need to be around her solo.

"You," I smirk, unable to lie about her always taking over my mind.

"Such a perv," she shakes her head at me with a soft chuckle.

"Always with you," I tease. "C'mere," I motion with my head for her to come sit on my lap.