Chapter 14

A couple of weeks later, it's the weekend of Aubrey's birthday, and tonight, everyone is getting together to go to the annual fair in Lexington, the Lexington Lions Club Bluegrass Fair which runs throughout the majority of June

It's held at the Masterson Station Park in Lexington, about twenty minutes from Henry Clay, so other than being completely on the other side of town since it's more in the northwest corner and we're all located on the eastern side, it's not a bad drive at all.

Unlike last year at Aubrey's birthday party at Savannah's house, when Lucas and I had that stupid fight that kind of broke us up for a day, I know tonight will be better. It's going to be so much fun going to the fair for the first time together, especially with all of our friends.

It's probably going to be packed since it's the weekend, specifically a Saturday, but we're still excited to all be going. We're pending one of our last occasions of all getting together because Lucas, Brody and Trey all have football camp starting in a couple weeks, their last one of their high school lives, so it's a little bittersweet for them.

I'm currently at Aubrey's house though, having spent the night here with her and the other girls to celebrate her birthday despite keeping it lowkey. The girls and I were all up past 1:00 a.m. just bullshitting and watching stupid Netflix rom-com movies, even doing face masks and our nails after chowing down some pizza, because you know, balance, junk food and some self-care.

We were all together with the guys who were at her house for a bit yesterday, but they left early, leaving us girls to our own devices so they're going to meet us at the fairgrounds. The number of cars our group will have over there is a bit ridiculous, even with us carpooling thanks to our large circle of friends.

The best thing is none of our friends' parents aren't making us take their little siblings so we don't have to worry about them running off or having to filter ourselves, which is the real bonus part of the situation.

"How long until we have to leave?" Whitney grumbles from Aubrey's ensuite, where she has been holed up for who knows how long now.

"Uh, like five minutes," I answer, checking the time on the lock screen of my phone from where I'm lying on my stomach across the width of Aubrey's bed to find that it's pushing 3:00 p.m. which is when the gates open on the weekends. I'm dressed in my fitted bright green sleeveless racerback ribbed crop top with a high round neckline that I've paired with my medium blue washed pair of frayed mid-rise denim shorts with ripped and destroyed details. My feet are dangling off the edge of the bed in my burnt sugar pair of ankle western boots with western inspired stitching, seven-inch shafts and two-inch western heels. My hair is up in a messy bun with strands framing my face and my silver pair of thin short dangle earrings with two connected bars poking through the strands.

"No way. Ugh, my fucking hair is being a bitch," she whines, as if she's going to throw a tantrum like a toddler who isn't getting their way.

"We're going to be outside at a fair and going on crazy rides. Your hair is going to get messed up anyway Whit," Aubrey chuckles. She is wearing her medium blue washed short sleeved romper with a button up front, chest pockets and a self0tie belt at the waistline. Her hair is down and straightened, her gold pair of large filigree hoops barely poking through. Her feet have been slipped inside of her light brown pair of cowboy boots with twelve-inch shafts that have pull tabs, western embroidery, one-and-a-inch western heels and square toes.