Chapter 21

"Kids?" my mom hollers from downstairs, not even an hour later

"Upstairs mom!" I call back, grabbing my shorts to slip them back on, causing Lucas to snicker beside me. "Shh," I scold him as I curl back up under the blanket, his arm instantly draping over my shoulder to rest his hand in the middle of my back.

"Is it dark enough in here?" my mom questions the two of us when she appears in the doorway, Roxy pushing past her to jump onto the couch since she was down with my mom all day.

"I just never opened them after the sun started setting," I shrug while I pet Roxy.

"Mhm," she sighs. "Okay, well, I'm going to order pizza for dinner if that is cool. I'm too tired to cook tonight."

"Sure, whatever you wanna do," I smile, Lucas nodding his head in agreement.

"Okay, well, I'll let y'all get back to your movie," she says, eyeing us before she turns around to leave the room.

"We're in trouble aren't we?" Lucas asks quietly.

"Probably. I thought she'd freak out since my dad isn't home, but I guess not. Dinner is going to be so awkward. I won't blame you if you came up with an excuse to bail," I answer.

"I'm part of this too," he sighs. "I'm staying, but only if you want me too."

"Well, I'm sorry for the awful dinner I'm going to put you through."

"It's okay, you can pay me back later."

"Yeah, I would hold onto that IOU for a while. I don't know when we'll get a chance, if ever again after tonight."

"We'll be just fine," he soothes, his hand rubbing up and down my back.

"Mmkay." I sigh as I sink further into his embrace, allowing the feeling to hide away from the world to seep into my brain.

A little later, the ring of the doorbell sends Roxy flying off of the couch from where she was sleeping next to me, barking as she leaves the room

"That's got to be the pizza," I sigh, glancing up at Lucas. "We should go down before mom comes to get us."