Chapter 2

Over at Katie's, Marshall barked, making the ladder extend up to the roof. He climbed up and reached the roof, where he saw the kitchen crouching next to the air conditioning unit, looking terrified.
'How do you loose so many kittens like this?' Marshall thought. 'I ran away once, but I didn't do it a million times.'
Marshall extended his paw to the kitten, who started walking toward him. Every so slowly. The fire pup felt the sun shine it's golden rays down on him, and his red uniform absorbed every bit of it. Whenever he fought fires, the fire was always burning. But now it felt like HE was the fire. Marshall panted to help himself cool off. He wanted more than anything to blast himself with his water cannon, but that would only scare the kitten away, and he would have to start over again. The kitten made a sudden jump, and landed on his helmet. At first, it was bright, then all he saw was pitch blackness. Marshall fell down the ladder and right into his seat. The kitten flew off of his head, and landed straight in Katie's arms.
"Got her!" She said. "Thanks Marshall."
"No prob."
"Thanks Ryder." Katie said, turning to him.
"You're welcome." He replied with a warm smile. "Whenever you're in trouble, just yelp for help!"

Back at the lookout, Chase was staring dreamily out at Adventure Bay. The other pups had decided to go to the beach, but as Rocky hated water, he stayed behind.
"I know what you're thinking about, Chase." He said, interrupting the police pup's thoughts. "You're thinking about someone with big blue eyes."
Chase sighed happily.
"Yeah..."
"Why don't you just let it out and tell him?"
"TELL HIM?!!" Chase cried. "What am I supposed to say? 'Hey Marshall, I know we're best friends, but you gotta love me cause I love you?'"
Chase sighed, turning his attention to the Mix-Breed.
"I'm afraid it doesn't work that way..."
Rocky cocked his head, his eyes narrowed.
"I thought you were supposed to be fearless."
"Everybody's afraid of SOMETHING, Rocky."
"Well, you've always claimed that you're fearless. If you're fearless, you shouldn't be scared to tell Marshall how you feel."
Chase sighed.
"Ugh...you're right...I'll try."
"Don't try." Rocky said, walking into the elevator. "Do."