Chapter 43: waking up

TW- swearing, death mentioned

Grian's POV:

"Tubbo?" I asked. And slowly he looked at me and Tor. "Hey, it's okay, I'm your new social worker. I'm Grian."

He squinted his eyes, bringing a hand up to his head and looking at us both once again. "Tor, why don't you go ask for the Doctor?" I mentioned, sensing something was wrong.

"I've got some good news for you Tubbo, you and Tommy are going to go live with Phil again." He didn't reply to my question but after 10 seconds or so I noticed him visibly relax and go back to stroking Tommy's hair. Tommy however was lying wide awake, eyes open and was seemingly just comforted by the physical tough and his dinosaurs.

Time skip:

The Doctor invited me outside whilst Tor stayed inside, keeping a watch on both boys.

"Well, it's not as bad as it could have been but there is going to be a lot of rehabilitation and things might not be 100% again."

"Okay, what's wrong?"

"I suspect Tobias has had a moderate ABI, and so far he seems to be having issues with reaction times. As far as I can tell, he's very dizzy which is just leading to a lot of disorientation, hence why he won't answer any questions completely normally. That should get better in the next few days but in the long term, it may still be affected, I've got high hopes that will go. But he's got short-term memory issues, which will take some adapting too. I suspect Tubbo will also have problems with his co-coordination and mobility, so we'd be looking at physical therapy too. Oh and I suggest once he's out of the hospital, that he goes to an optician, the incident has may have affected his eyesight and he may very well need glasses for the foreseeable future. I'll let you know if any of that changes."

"Okay, thank you." I said, trying to remember all the information.

He started to walk away but paused, "I'll get the whole report written up for whoever they end up living with, including specific instructions and an overview of both of their injuries."

"Thank you." I replied, watching him walk off before going back into the room.

"Is Tommy okay?" The young boy asked.

Tor answered him, "He's fine. I've been with him the entire time. You might remember me, I was one of the paramedics helping Tommy?"

"Sorry, I don't remember any of that." He kept his eyes closed as he talked which I was keen to ask about.

"Are your eyes alright Tubbo?" He processed the question for a few seconds before beginning to answer me.

"Uh just hurting from the lights and it helps me not feel dizzy. I'm not well am I?"

He was asking the questions and this felt like a better time than ever to tell him. "How about I turn off the lights, Tor can take Tommy on a walk and we can talk?" 

There was a brief nod and a slow adjustment to the lights. His eyes looked so scared, but soon fell on me. "Tommy had a thing on his neck, is it alright?"

"He's got a cut on it, it just needs some stitches. Other than that he's just a little scared." I tried to make it as brief as possible, hoping it would make it easier for Tubbo to process.

"How did it happen?"

Trying to contain my shock, "do you not remember anything Tubbo?"

"We were living with Dad."

"Yea you were, and do you remember a lady called Julia?"

"No. We went to the library and it, it was closed?"