Chapter 4- The Butchery Begins

In the morning, Meredith marched through a suite of offices, walking right past her staffers, 'Jane!' she called as she entered her office. She was starting to get frustrated when Jane didn't appear at once, 'JANE!' she yelled and Jane appeared at the door, running.

Two women shared a look and Meredith walked to her window, gazing down at the mob of reporters swarming the entrance of Downing Street, 'You know I've always hated this kind of political gamesmanship, fighting each other instead of fighting for the greater cause. But maybe it's what I need to do to set this right. It's time I change the rules of this game' she said without shifting her gaze.

Jane nodded, 'Well, we have Evonne now. She is a little emotional, but at least she is on our side' she said and joined Meredith at the window.

Meredith sighed and nodded, 'And you're sure we can control her?' she asked.

Jane nodded firmly, 'She can be controlled, she needs us. And we need her, she is the ace in our quiver' she said.

Meredith nodded, 'Let's wait for a little before we release her into the battlefield. Keep an eye on her until then. As for her mother, we need to strike back hard and fast' she said with a determined expression.

Jane looked at her boss pensively, 'I want to stop you, Ma'am. Not because it's getting crazy out there, it's always been crazy. But because you're wounded. Pretty badly, I'm afraid. And, you're at the bottom of the ocean. Move around too much, and you'll alert the sharks' she warned.

Meredith turned to Jane and smiled, 'Oh, Jane, I'm touched. But there is something nobody has noticed yet because I'm not screaming in pain. I'm bleeding, a lot. The sharks, they're coming either way. I need to move fast' she told Jane.

Later, Jane entered her office and stood at her desk, where she put on her glasses and ran a finger over an agenda. Checking a stack of mail, she came across a small red envelope with no return address. She tore it open and read the message on the matching red card- I can't wait any longer, then it gave a phone number.

In a diner, at night, Jane slid into a booth across from Evonne. The young girl wore an oversized hoodie with sunglasses, 'What the hell are you wearing?' Jane asked the girl in annoyance.

Evonne shrugged, 'I figured, I had to be inconspicuous' she answered.

Jane rolled her eyes at the stupidity, 'Nobody wears sunglasses at night, this is far from inconspicuous. You're only drawing more attention, take it off' she ordered and Evonne obeyed reluctantly. 'What the hell are you trying to do?' Jane asked.

Evonne looked at her stubbornly, 'She needs to pay for what she did' she spat out.

Jane nodded, 'And, she will. But these things take time. You need to be patient' she said.

Evonne glared at her, 'If you won't do it, I will. I'll go to the police' she threatened.

Jane scoffed, 'They'll laugh at your face'.

Evonne shrugged, 'If the police won't listen to me, I'll go to the television stations' she threatened.

Jane nodded, 'Sure, why don't you pull off that stunt. Look at you. Who are they going to believe? A teenage drama school dropout with mommy issues or a sitting House of Commons MP? You're walking down a road you do not want to walk on' she reasoned.

Evonne's eyes misted over and she averted her gaze, 'My whole life, everything I believed in has fallen apart right in front of me. I don't have anything. I don't have anywhere to go. And, I don't have anyone. And, the person responsible for it all needs to pay' she said.