Chapter 7: The Other New Recruit

Sunlight leaked through the tattered curtains and hit Astas face. The teen opened his eyes and got out of bed. He sighed and stretched his body causing his joints to pop. "Taking that form two times in one day did a lot to your body." Liebe said. "I need to train harder. I need to get my body stronger. I have a feeling our transformation can improve." Asta said. "It can, but your body isn't strong enough. I really wish I could help in more ways, it feels like you do all the work." Liebe said. "You giving me your power is enough. If it weren't for you, there would have been no way I could have come this far." Asta reassured Liebe. "I guess you're right. I still wish I could do more to make this easier. I've seen the amount of work you put into training, all I do is watch." "Nothing in life comes easily. You of all people should know that." "I do know that, but I wish it wasn't so hard." "You make yourself sound weak. I don't see the point in showing weakness even to those closest to you." "Are you saying that I shouldn't trust you?" Liebe asked. "I meant that if you show any vulnerability then you'll get comfortable showing it to others. You don't plan on staying in the grimoire forever do you?" "I don't know. But I disagree with your thoughts about showing vulnerability. You can't just hold everything in." "You can. I've done it, and I think I'm fine." "You're not fine. A normal person doesn't openly say they'll kill without any hesitation. Hell, you even used to cut yourself." "I didn't cut myself due to depression. It was punishment for being weak and staying weak. I would still continue with that punishment, but you stopped me. Also, I'm as sane as any other person but I simply know that the reality we live in only benefits the most dominant and strongest." "What about those who can't get stronger and have to suffer their entire lives?" "Then they will suffer. There will be some people, good people, that will help the weak. Unfortunately, those good people are scarce." "And we won't do anything to help them?" "Why would you want to help humans? Didn't you tell me that me and mother were the only humans to treat you with love?" "I did tell you that, but there has to be more good people like Licita." Asta stared out his window and gazed at the partly cloudy sky. "Maybe there are. I'll talk to you later, I'm gonna go train." He said. "Alright. Have fun." Liebe said.

Asta got up and walked out his room. While in the hallway he was lost it thought and collided with a pillar. "What the hell is that doing here?" "Oi Asta. Good morning." Magna greeted. "Good morning. Can you tell me what this pillar is doing here? I don't remember it being here yesterday." "Oh the base changes like every day. I don't know why, but you'll get used to it." Magna said. "That's odd." "I guess. Now follow me, I still gotta show you around." Magna began to walk and Asta followed.

"This is the magical beasts room. You have to feed them every morning and as the new recruit that is your job." Asta looked at the delinquent handing him a slab of meat. Asta sighed and took the meat then approached the beasts. The beasts snarled at him, but Asta released a pressure that scared them causing them to back off. Asta tossed the meat in the cage and walked back to Magna. "You're pretty good at that." Magna said. "What now?" Asta asked. "Follow me." The two walked away from the room and arrived to be blocked by a certain silver haired girl. "You're kidding me." Asta scoffed. The girl tensed up seeing Asta; she put her head down expecting to be berated, but to her surprise, Asta hadn't said anything. "Oh right. This girl is the other new recruit. Introduce yourself you recruit!" Magna shouted. "Don't yell at me you peasant!" The girl shouted. "That's no way to talk to your superior!" Noelle was about to say something, but Asta had said something first. "There's no point. I already know her. She's just a snobby bitch who can't control her magic if I remember correctly." Magna gave a confused look to Asta and then glanced at the girl. Noelles lips quivered and she grew angry. "I knew I shouldn't have joined this stupid squad!" She said throwing her robe on the ground. "You can't just throw away the robe captain Yami gave you! Come back here!" Magna shouted. "There's no point. She won't come back because it seems like she never wanted to be here in the first place." Asta said. "Damnit! That girl should be grateful that captain Yami took her in. I don't care if she's the sister of the silver eagles captain, she belongs to this squad and should treat the robe with respect!" "Is that all you had to show me?" Asta asked. Magna nodded while still ranting about the girl. Asta left the base and began to train his body.