Chapter 11: The dungeon

Water. The wet substance soaked the soil the two had stood on. Noelle was heavily breathing, and Asta kept breathing at a moderate pace.

"Are you all out already?" Asta asked.

Noelle shook her head and punched both her thighs. "Not yet!" She shouted.

The girls persistence was something Asta had admired. She didn't know when to give up, and it was a good quality for someone like Noelle. The boy got into a fighting stance.

"Well I'm ready when you are." He said showing the girl a smile. Noelle blushed at the sight, but knowing he decided to show his rare smiles gave her the motivation to continue.

"Then don't blame me if you get hurt." Noelle said. Asta let out a chuckle. Noelle took his chuckle as him mocking her. The girl gripped her wand tighter and shot out a strong water blast towards the boy. Asta heard the water rush at him, and he sliced the water ball causing it to dissipate into nothing. Noelle only clenched her fist and shot another water ball at Asta. This time it was much weaker than the last one. Asta only cut the ball and looked at the girl. She had been a little off today, and even Asta had noticed.

"Noelle. We could take a break for now." Asta said.

Noelle fell to her knees and could only gasp for air. The two had been training for one whole hour and it had drained a lot out of the girl. Once she caught her breath she let out a smile and said, "Did you see that? I can finally hit my targets."

Asta smiled and sat next to the girl. "Of course I saw that. In no time I can imagine you even getting a new spell." He said.

Noelle smiled brightly even showing her teeth. "I'm so proud of myself." She said.

"Well you should be." Asta looked at the girl who couldn't even find the strength to get up on her two legs. The boy grabbed Noelle by the waist and adjusted her to sit on her bottom. His actions caused Noelle to blush, but her already flushed face hid the blush.

"I could have sat by myself you know." She said.

"I doubt it. Looks like that training took everything out of you." Asta said.

Noelle looked at the ground. The bluish white light of the moon reflected the grass and the water droplets beautifully. She ran her hands through the blades of the grass and couldn't help but think. "Asta." She said.

The boy looked at her and said, "Yes?"

Noelle hesitated to say what she wanted to ask, but it was bothering her severely. "I don't mean to intrude in you personal matters, but... during the magic knights exam, or after I guess. I remember seeing you talk with my brother. I heard of some deal you and him have. Are you really going to keep the deal with him?" She asked.

Asta locked his eyes away from Noelle. He felt guilt when knowing he did have a deal with her brother, a brother whom had treated her horribly. "I do. Thing is, I don't see myself keeping the deal. I'll just get stronger in my own way without his help." He said. Asta felt his guilt become heavier, but he had to reassure the girl next to him. He didn't like seeing her with a frown, and lying to her would definitely break her heart. She was too sensitive in his eyes.

Noelle felt relieved knowing Asta no longer kept the deal. She scooted closer to the boy and rested her head on his shoulder. "Thank you for letting me know." She said. The girl felt her eyelids become heavier, the training took a big toll on her energy. Eventually, the peaceful silence persuaded her mind to drift off and sleep.

The girls light snores were heard from the boy, and he wrapped his arm around her shoulder for her body to stay balanced. He sighed and looked at the bright moon. The boy hated lying, but he couldn't have had Noelle to become dejected.