Chapter 6: The Black Bulls

"Number ninety eight." A boy walked up to the middle and watched all the captains stay still. "No captains have raised their hands. You may leave now." "Aww come on! This has been the fourth time I've taken this exam." The boy said walking away.

Yuno had approached Asta and nudged his shoulder. "You wondering which captains will take you in?" Yuno asked. "Yes. This is probably the most important part of the exam." Asta replied. "I think so too. I hope I can join the golden dawn. I heard that the captain of the Golden Dawn is the closest to being wizard king." Yuno said. "I hope to join the squad with the strongest captain, maybe they can help me become stronger." "Who do you think the strongest captain is?" "I'm not sure." Yuno examined all the captains and sensed their mana.  "It's hard to tell which one is stronger." "I guess I'll just have to get lucky." Asta said.

"Contestant one hundred and fourteen." Yuno grew nervous and walked up to the front. The boy knew he did well, but he was still nervous because of the tension. To his surprise, all captains raised their hand. Yunos eyes widened and the other contestants started to chatter about the rare scene. "Not that surprising." Asta thought. "I choose the Golden Dawn!" Yuno said. The Golden Dawn captain smiled and waved his hand signaling that Yuno was done. Soon after Yuno left, it was now Astas turn to go up. "Contestant one hundred and fifteen." Asta walked up with his arms folded. No captains raised their hand, but one had asked a question. "I noticed you don't have a single bit of mana, yet you still have a power. What was it called? Anti-magic. Am I correct?" "Yes. I believe it to be a direct counter to magic." Asta answered. As soon as he answered, two captains had raised their hands. "The silver eagles captain raised his hand?! But that kids a peasant!" One person shouted. Asta looked at the two options and thought for a moment. "Liebe which one do you think is best?" "I'm not sure myself, but I'd choose the buff guy. Those muscles have to come from somewhere. Hope this helps." "That doesn't help me at all." "Boy from Hage." Nozel said. Asta jolted his head towards the captain. "I'm not sure why you're taking so long to decide. It's either the prestigious order of the Silver eagles, or the worst squad run by a foreigner." "Geez braids, you don't have to be too harsh on me you know. But you're right about him taking his sweet time. Come on brat, the black bulls will be a perfect fit for you. And if you don't join.. I'll kill you. Simple as that." Yami said. "Which one of you can make me stronger?" Asta asked. Nozel scrunched his eyebrows and said "Listen boy. You should be grateful a captain, especially one from royalty, is giving you such an opportunity." "I'll join the black bulls." Asta said. Yami bursted out laughing at Astas abrupt decision. He sensed the boy was greatly annoyed, not because of his laughter however. "Is he an idiot?" "Why would he give up such an offer?" Chatter was heard throughout the contestants, but Asta paid no attention. The teen walked away and stood next to Yuno. "Did you seriously just-" "The moment he brought up his social status I made up my mind. There's no way I could be led by a snobby piece of shit." Yuno softened his body and understood Astas decision. "I understand. Well, good luck with the worst squad." "It can't be that bad. It's an order like the rest of them, so I'm sure it'll help me with what I need to be." "I guess."

Time flew by and the contestants were leaving. Yuno and Asta had said their farewells and the two went their separate ways. Asta was trying to find his new captain, but someone had come into his path. "You, boy from Hage." "What do you want?" Asta asked. "I just want to speak with you. Somewhere secluded." Nozel said. "Isn't it odd for a captain to pull aside another's recruit?" Asta asked. "Don't question me. I know you wish to be stronger, and I can help you." Asta tensed up due to what he heard. "I'm not even in your order. Why would you want to help me? A peasant." "Just come with me for a moment. I don't want anyone eavesdropping in on our conversation." Nozel said walking away. Asta followed without knowing he was being tailed.

The two arrived in a near a pillar in a dark corner. "What do you want to talk to me about?" Asta asked. "You said you have a power called 'anti-magic'. Is that correct?" Asta nodded. "Truth is, I'm in need of someone strong. Even if you are a peasant, I can see your power being useful. To add on, me and you have a common goal." "What do you mean 'a common goal'?" "You said you wanted to kill every devil in that little show you put on for us. You can see where I'm going with this." "You hate devils too, and you want to use me to help with whatever your goal is." "I wouldn't say 'use'. Consider it as a.." Nozel paused for a moment. The man had to put his pride aside for what he had in mind. "Consider it a partnership. I offer to train you, you offer me your help." "A royal and a peasant with some type of partnership. Who would have thought?" "Be grateful that a captain, especially one from royalty, is offering you such a deal. What do you say?" "Fine."