Tony and Maria

Charlie wasn't a big Broadway musical person. He had trained in regular stage theater back home in New Brunswick. But when a casting agent happened to see him perform at a bar in LA and hear him talk, he said he had a role for him. And that is how he was here auditioning for the lead role of 'Tony' for Stephen Spielberg's reboot of West Side Story. Which was making him want to hurl from nerves.

He had only had a few bit roles in things up until now. Jumping from that to auditioning as the lead was terrifying. There were so many people auditioning for the role. A bunch of them just looked like they were Broadway vets. He wasn't a dancer. He knew how to move his hips okay but West Side Story had some pretty fancy footwork. He wasn't sure if he could keep up. What was he doing here!? He wasn't on the same level as all these guys.

"Charlie Gilsepi," someone called from down the hall.

Charlie sighed as he got up, holding his trusty Taylor. "It's Gillespie," he said as he walked toward the person holding a clipboard.

The person looked at him blankly behind wire rimmed glasses. "Right. Come this way."

The audition was a blur. Charlie was pretty sure he blacked out somehow because all he remembered was walking to the room where the casting directors were and the next thing he knew he was sitting in his Subaru afterwards. It was probably best that he didn't remember what happened. It was surely a train wreck. He started his car and headed in the direction of the apartment he shared with three other people.

His phone rang in the cup spot of his middle console. He was at a light so picked it up to see it was his friend, Hannah Leigh. "Hey," he said simply. His mind felt blank. Which was a feat in itself.

"How did the audition go? Did you kill it? Did they like the songs you prepared?"

Of course she was calling to see how everything went. "I don't know." He could practically see the confusion on her face.

"What do you mean, 'I don't know'?" Charlie chewed on his lip as he drove the car through the now green light.

"I mean I don't know. I completely blacked out. Can't remember what happened in the audition at all."

Hannah sighed sadly. "Charlie, it's okay. I'm sure you did great. That casting agent wouldn't have given you the details for the audition if he didn't think you were a good contender."

Charlie didn't agree. "I mean I did it. We'll see what happens. Anyway I am on the way home. Do you, Mitchy, and Jenna want to come over and watch Liar, Liar?"

Hannah replied immediately. "Do I want to watch a movie where Jim Carrey tries to be an honest lawyer? Hell yeah. We'll be there in an hour. And don't stress over that audition."

Charlie chuckled. "Alright. And I won't see. See you soon."

There might actually be a god or something because Charlie had a callback for auditions. It had been a week since the audition when his agent called him and said that they wanted to see him again for another reading. Except now there were significantly less other Tonies to go through. He was one of five guys the casting directors were deciding between. He was afraid to hope that he would get chosen. One guy looked like just the type for the role. He even had his hair cut in a very classic 50s style.

Charlie knew that he was at a disadvantage with the fact he didn't have anything really big on his resume and the fact he wasn't a musical guy. Charlie's hair was all shaggy. Definitely not what the casting directors were looking for. All he had going for him was that he could sing and he gave it his all when he acted. Yeah he wasn't getting the part. But at least this would be a good experience.