018.

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

Michael thought his mother had finally lost it for good. She had just introduced Anna Bernard ― the ward of Lady Imogen Bernard ― as Sallyanna. As his little sister who had died years ago. It made no sense, and neither did the fact that out of all the people in the world, it was Isiah who had initiated this whole sorrowful event.

He hasn't seen his sister since they were young children and Michael could barely remember Sallyanna. Sometimes if he really tired to remember or picture his sister, he could see a little girl with big brown eyes. That's all.

So Michael stared at his mother, feeling mixed emotions of anger and sadness. He was angry because he didn't want to be fooled. But he was also sad, thinking that once this charade was over, his mother will slumber into despair over false news.  

"You can't be serious mother," said Michael while pouring himself a glass of whiskey. 

"Michael please," sighed Polly. "Try to understand." 

Michael shook his head. "No I can't. Because she's dead, mum."

"Don't say that," Polly said, her voice suddenly much stronger. "Don't you ever say that again."

"I-I do not wish her to be dead. But do you honestly think that after all these years, she's alive? Not just alive but here?" Michael wondered. 

"You came back," Polly reminded her son. "In case you've forgotten."

Michael ran his hands against his face, trying to come up with the gentlest way to break his mother's dreams and hopes.

"I did but I was never stated as dead. But she is mum. I know you want her to come back but there're just some things that we cannot change," Michael tried to reason Polly.

"You've seen her. She's Sally," Polly insisted. 

"I couldn't be sure. You didn't think so until Isiah decided to pull the fucking trigger of the past," huffed Michael. "

Polly sighed heavily. "Don't blame your friend. He did the right thing. Michael, I know all of this is insane and I didn't just believe it because I wanted to but because there's evidence. Everything makes sense. They're the same age, have the same life story. Anna got sick with Spring Fever, the same illness which supposedly killed Sally."

No matter how hard Michael tried to ignore it, he could see the sense in all this. But people weren't stated dead for nothing. Those kind of mistakes could not be made.

"She's my daughter. I know it, Michael. I know it in my bones," said Polly, her voice shaky again. "I just know it."

Michael wanted to argue some more but the look his mother held made him to stop. He didn't know was this Anna Bernard really his sister but his mother seemed to believe so ― and who was Michael to crush her dreams.