012.

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

For the people who knew Thomas Shelby, his return to work some time after his wife's death was a surprise. The people working with the company tried their best to stay out of his way ― they were too scared to face him. Avoiding Thomas proved to be a lot easier because he did not care to speak with anyone. He locked himself to his office the second he got to work. 

His personal space was however violated by Isiah who nearly ran into his office without asking a permission or announcing himself. Thomas was not happy to see Isiah. He did like the kid but he was not in the mood to deal with Isiah's drama.

"What is it?" Thomas asked with a bitter voice and didn't even glance up from his papers to see Isiah. 

Isiah panted ― it was clear that he had been running to get to Thomas. Isiah leaned to his knees with his hands and arms, trying to take in a deep breath so he could speak to Thomas. 

"I'm busy Isiah. So if it's nothing important, please don't disturb me," said Thomas, his eyes still glued to his papers. 

"I-it is... important," Isiah panted, though wasn't sure of this. 

On his way to see Thomas, Isiah had began to question his thoughts. Thomas had been the one who found out Sallyanna Gray was dead ― and Thomas was never wrong. He had found the official records of Polly's daughter and for them to be false, well it just didn't make any sense. 

"Then what is it?" Asked Thomas and finally looked up to see Isiah. "You have a minute."

Isiah took in a deep breath and exhaled before speaking.

"Anna Bernard, the ward of Imogen Bernard, she has a birthmark..." Isiah started. 

Thomas scoffed. "I don't need to know who you fuck and where their birthmarks are."

"W-what? No," Isiah shook his head. "I am not fucking her."

He wanted to be very clear about that ― in case Anna was Sallyanna. The awkwardness would be too much. 

"I noticed she has a birthmark on her right wrist. It's shaped like a crescent moon and some small stars next to it. I didn't think too much of it but then I-I saw a photograph at Polly's. Her daughter Sallyanna and she... she had the exact same mark on her wrist as Anna Bernard," Isiah explained. 

Thomas swallowed slowly, making sure that Isiah couldn't see the uncertainty in his eyes. The theory was insane and it made no sense because Sallyanna had died. Thomas was sure she couldn't be the only girl who has a birthmark on their right wrist. But it did make him wonder.

Over the years Thomas has learned that no one is truly dead until you see the body ― he never saw Sallyanna's body. There was no photograph of it or any other proof than what the nuns in Australia had wrote in a piece of paper.