Chapter 17

Pete POV

He hugs me and I probably look or sound like a little kid but I don't care. I need my friend back and it sucks that I can't have that.

"Unfortunately I can't. I would if I could because she was an amazing soul but she was very...very broken and that wasn't just about you not returning her feelings. She thought very little of herself and no one else until we gave her much of a chance. She was pretty far gone when we came into the picture. I remember one day jokingly while working on her photo shoot for our class, I asked her if she would ever date me and she said no. She told me that I deserved someone who could love, appreciate, and support me unconditionally. She didn't feel she would be able to give me that wholeheartedly so she did not want to try and possibly hurt me in the end. She seemed really sad when she said that so I told her it was okay and not to feel bad but looking back I never asked why she reacted that way"

"You might have been able to save her if you met her first instead of me"

"Not really, relationships can't fill the emptiness she felt so her fate would have been the same. I know she would want you to know that she did not do this because of you. She stayed this long because of you"

"Do you think she will visit us? Like how some people say they see or hear spirits?"

"Maybe, it will be interesting to find out"

"Alright...so what gifts have you come to bring me? I'm as ready as I'll ever be"

"First is a gift card to buy all the games you could ever want for a while whether that be physical PC games, games off steam, or whatever your heart desires. All you have to do is activate it and it will tell you your balance."

I take the gift card and call the number on the back, I punch in the account number and it reads that I have a total of $2100 on the card to use and there is no expiration date for it. This will last me a while and will definitely give me a ton of possible content for me to play on twitch.

"Second is this bank card, on the sticky note is your username and password for you to log in. You can change it once you're in the account. I will give you privacy to download the app and find out how much she left because that is probably a little more personal but the last thing is she got you a cotton candy maker with mix and a snowcone maker. I will be using those if you don't"

He smiles and laughs talking about the youtube videos we can create with these machines.

"Can you check the account for me? I don't know if I can handle it or if I am ready to hear the amount"

He nods and takes the information to download the app and logs on. For a while, he is just still and it is scaring me because why is he not saying anything? 

"Well...you have one transaction to your account with the description, "to jumpstart you on whatever dream is next for you on your 21st birthday" Are you ready to know the amount?"

"I think so"

"She left you with $21,000"

I take the phone from him and look at the screen to see exactly what he said. I feel so guilty and terrible that I just lay on Danny's lap and silently cry covering my face in embarrassment. This is too much to handle and I just want to sleep my life away at this point. Danny could have called me over dramatic or even blamed me for one of his closest friends dying but he instead let me rest on him until I was in a decent state to manage more news. I'm not sure how long I was out but it had to be a while because it is dark outside. I woke up, we ate dinner and he told me that I was almost done.

"You're not the last one I need to meet?"

"Nope, she left a few things with her mom"

"Fuck, I can't see her mom. She has to hate me for all of this"

"She doesn't, we have all been checking on her and letting her adopt us as her children so she doesn't feel so alone. I know she would love seeing you"

"When is Wynter's funeral? I want to pay my respects of course"

"She didn't have one. She had no friends outside us five and it was just her and her mom. She never wanted a big fuss or stress so she left a letter for her mom with a paid-off casket with her name engraved on it. Her mom mourned alone because she wasn't even sure how to contact us"

"Well, I have to visit now. I want to visit tomorrow but I know Rose wants to see me for the first time. Oh well, I'll have to see her later"

"Doesn't she have Wynter's eyes?"

"I'm pretty sure so, the timing was too perfect for it to just be a coincidence"

"She may want to meet her so she can see her daughter's eyes again"

"Do you think that would make things worse?"

"I think it would be a bittersweet moment for her but she won't treat Rose badly, she's not like that"

"Okay, I'll go see her tomorrow. Thanks for being there for me through all of this, I know you were the closest to her once I kind of faded so this is hard for you"

"I'm doing okay managing, she visits me in my dreams and we hang out. She said she'll do it until I am okay so I will manage. I have to for her"

That's cool but scary that she visits him, I wonder if she will ever visit me.