XVII

Alastair leaned back in his chair, looking pass his monitor and to his mate. Currently, Ryker had his hair pulled up into a rather cute, messy bun, though he part of his bangs still covering his eyes. Al was sure having sections of your hair falling down when you put it up means you've failed. He did find it cute, though.

A small smile slipped on his lips as he watched the red head work tirelessly on his own paperwork and whatever emails he was given. Al was lucky that Ryker understood their jobs and had actually taught him how to do his work properly. Yes, before their work is actually submitted, a senor does have to check it. So far, they hadn't found too many mistakes, to which the soon-to-be-alpha saw made the senor no too happy. He couldn't figure out why though.

"Stop daydreaming and get back to work." A woman's voice snapped, a familiar woman's voice. Vivien. Surprisingly, her words weren't directed at the person who was thinking too harshly on things. It was directed towards Ryker.

Ryker had noticed the other stopped his work and was staring at him. He didn't do much other than bow his head more towards his computer. He always felt shy when attention was on him, but with Al staring at him, it felt different... It felt like he was trying to stare into his soul.

Suddenly, he flinched, pulling his hands off the keyboard. Gently, he flexed and clenched his hands to ease the cramping. When he was done with that, he rubbed and rolled his wrists, trying to get them to relax as well. He softly sighed when the cramping and minor pain faded.

He decided to close his eyes for a moment, just having a really long blink if anything, but then she had spoken up. Snaping at him. He couldn't help the flinch that happened when she snapped at him, but he kept quiet and only nod, moving back to his paperwork.

"Vivien, he was just relaxing for a moment, we're not dogs." Alastair stood up, easily over towering her.

He watched with mild disgust as her eyes raked over his body, the edge of her lips twitching upward. She then shifted some, crossing her arms with an attempted annoyed look.

"You both were only brought on by Mr. Griffon, if I don't hound you till you drop, then you'll just slack off. A minute relax can cost a company this-"

"We're. Not. Dogs. Vivien." The teen narrowed his eyes, him clenching his fists. It was difficult to control himself from hurting her, from showing her that he wasn't some toy to play with. Yet, doing that in such an aggressive way, it would scare Ryker and cause him and his Aunt to reject him and his father.

The woman huffed, a true snarl appearing on her face. She hated being talked down like that. She had worked her ass off to get up where she was! Sure, she played dirty at times, but so what?! She won't be talked to like that!

"Listen here, brat, I don't care who you're related to, I read your record. You don't even have volunteer hours. How the hell you managed to-" She stopped her rant, a hand being carefully placed on her shoulder. Her scowl deepened as she whirled around. "And yo-" Her eyes widen, her breath catching in her throat as she stared into what could've been two beautiful eyes had it not been for the rage swirling inside of them.

Ryker was fine with the verbal abuse that she was most likely going to give him no matter what, but seeing her go after Al? He would've stepped in regardless of his odd thoughts and feelings. He hates bullies and he doesn't care what she says about his eyes, no one will see them anyhow. So, he looked her in the eyes, but only her. He watched as all of her rage and confidence disappear, her body shaking like a leaf. He then pointed to the door, to which she took without a second thought.

The brunet blinked in confusion as he saw the other squeeze his eyes closed, rubbing them. Before she had left, fear had flooded her scent, which he found as odd. She had looked him in the eyes and fear was suddenly crowding her system. She was lucky to have seen those eyes, eyes that Ryker keeps hiding from him.

"Wow..." He hummed, moving to the other after making that noise. "That was something..." He paused as he watched the other nod slowly. "Do you want to grab your glasses and take a break?"

His answer was a slow nod before the infamous glasses were taken and placed over his eyes. It was only then did he properly fix his hair to reveal his demon mask and sunglasses. As much as those glasses annoyed him, Alastair will just have to wait to see those eyes. It's clear that the other was self-conscious of them. He'll change that soon.