XIX

Alastair was in the kitchen with his mother and Christine. His mother was currently trying to help the boy understand how to take care of the pack, seeing as it was both the Alpha and Luna's job to do so.However, it was taking some time as they had to be careful with their wording, they didn't want to reveal too much.

"You should listen the others." Christine commented softly, her stirring of some stew growing tense, betraying her nerves. "They could have good ideas that you don't know about?" She gave a tight smile.

Xenia gave a sweet smile in return, nodding in agreement. "Yes, that's a good idea. Listening to the other people living here would make sure that everything is running smoothly." She nodded again.

Al hummed, giving her a quiet smile as well. That was one of the first rules that his mother gave him; be polite and smile even if you don't like the person. In the grey-eyed woman's mind, the only time someone shouldn't be smiling at people is if it was for serious work. He'll tweak that so his face doesn't fall off from smiling so much.

Suddenly, Ryker rushed into the room, jumping about with his phone in hand. He was still wearing his mask and glasses, but the soon-to-be-alpha could feel the smile that was blooming on his beautiful mate's face. What was going on? What was making the red-haired man jump around so effortlessly?

The red-haired woman looked confused, taking the old phone from his excited hands. She held a tight face as she read the screen, her brows scrunching together. Her eyes then widen before a bright, a genuinely bright, smile formed on her face. Quickly, she grabbed Ryker's arm, laughing quietly.

"I'll go tell James, watch the stove." She hummed, handing the phone back before rushing off.

The two wolves looked at each other, confused. Very confused, and a little upset. Well, Alastair was upset. Something had made his mate happy, but he didn't know what. He wanted to know what made his mate so happy. Maybe he could make his mate happy like that.

"What's going on?" He leaned forward some, tilting his head a little.

Instantly, the jittery happiness that had radiated off the smaller male stilled and became nothing. The red-haired man shifted awkwardly, a grunt sounding from him before he shyly present his phone.

R.Puffs: Yo! Its been weird w/out u.

GoldenBoy: Weird? You safe?

R.Puffs: Safe? Since when? :P

GoldenBoy: Don't play

R.Puffs: Fine! Fine! I'm doing good, I'm safe enough

GoldenBoy: Enough?

R.Puffs: Anyway! Do you think James would mind me coming over? I'm ahead :P

GoldenBoy: Wait, seri!??

R.Puffs: You'd think I'd play?

R.Puffs: But fr, do you think I can stay for a week or so? I *am* ahead :P

A sense of jealousy formed in the soon-to-be-alpha's chest. The happiness of his mate was over a friend showing up. A person he didn't know about. Yet, these feelings softened when he saw the nervous look of his mate.

"Who's R Puffs? A friend from your old town?" The brunet did his best to keep the jealousy out of his tone, his face soft and all that. He knew, though, that Ryker could see through it. The other male always seemed to know when someone else was upset, even if the signs were minimal. And that was something that Alastair had picked up on within the first few months of them living together.

The masked teen nodded, shifting about as he pulled his phone back to him. He seemed to hesitate for a second before typing something. He then showed it to the pair.

His name is Reese, and he likes Reese Puffs and Cups...

The soon-to-be-alpha couldn't stop the chuckle that left his lips at the words that he just read.

"Wow. He's got a sweet tooth? What about you?"

Ryker shifted some before doing the so-so motion. He then typed on his phone, hesitating a few times.

I prefer savory or meaty meals, but I don't mind the occasional sweet... I mostly prefer strawberry flavored sweets. Not gummies, I don't like gummies...

A wide smile formed on the taller teen's face. Finally! They were making progress! He couldn't have been any happier! Even knowing something like this was exciting!

"I also like strawberries, they're one of my favorite scents. Do you have a favorite fruit scent?" Can he get more? He really wanted to know more.

The quiet teen felt a bit confused. Why was his step-cousin looking so happy to know something so simple about him? Was he that quiet about what he liked? Telling him what fruit scent he liked didn't seem like a big deal, similar to his preference in sweets... Maybe it felt odd because no one had to ask him for them, after all Reese and his Aunt already knew them.

I like the scent of mangos... and the forest...

Was that what he smelled like to Ryker? Not a completely bad scent combination.

"Not a bad scent combination. Do you like mangos or just the scent?" The answer was a shrug.  Guess even he didn't know exactly. "Maybe tomorrow we can go out and pick up some mangoes and sweets?"

He paused for a moment before giving a slow nod. Getting some of sweets would probably make Reese happy, and it shouldn't be too expensive.

Before Alastair could ask any more questions, his father and Christine entered. They both were smiling, the red-haired woman more than the brunet male.

"I heard that you want to have an old friend over?" A nod was his answer. "I don't see the problem. You should have someone to talk with after all. " He chuckled some.

The copper-haired male gave a soft hum, nodding his head. He was genuinely happy that he could have Reese over. He hadn't seen him since he left, which made him feel like an asshole. He should've made effort to see his friend.

"He can sleep on your floor." 

Alastair raised an eyebrow, looking towards his father as he spoke.

 "You have an extra room that his friend could sleep in."

"Right. When should he come over?" Alastair asked, looking between Ryker and his father.

"He can come over tomorrow."

Ryker nodded before leaving the kitchen. A sudden hissing noise made Christine jolt and hurry over to the stove. Seems they all had forgotten the stew she was making. Oops.