xxxvi. Hostages

BLOODLINE
xxxvi. hostages

WHAT MADE A PERSON wander when they spoke on the phone? It never started as a conscious thought, nor did it ever develop into one

WHAT MADE A PERSON wander when they spoke on the phone? It never started as a conscious thought, nor did it ever develop into one. A mindless pace within a room, the fiddling of objects, and the odd trance that seemed to take over once a phone was held to one's ear.

     Of course the thought only crossed Erin's mind after a call ended. Never even a blip on her radar with her sole attention on whoever she spoke to.

     And that call in particular held every ounce of brain power she could muster.

     Erin didn't know what prompted her to even call them. Boredom? Intrigue? Elena's blood-high induced dirty dance with Damon? A combination of them all, most likely. Maybe she thought they could help her work through the predicament with her sister. Or maybe she just needed to talk to someone on the outside of it all.

     The reason behind the call didn't become any clearer as they spoke. In fact, it grew even fuzzier.

     "I know you probably already got the rundown from Rebekah, but - Klaus is alive," Erin stated into the phone held against her ear. She sat on the edge of her bed, bouncing her foot slightly against the floor.

     "Yes, she did," Elijah replied through the tiny speaker. "Soon after her escape from your Town Council. Thank you for that, by the way."

     Erin snorted as she stood and began to move across her room. "I didn't really do anything. Stefan's the one who let her out,"she reminded him.

     "Even so, you're the reason he was able to," Elijah countered. "And in spite of what my sister has done to your family. I truly am sorry for what has happened to Elena."

     Erin sighed, stepping over to her bookcase along the wall. She ran her finger across the outward turned spines and said, "me too. I just - I wish I knew how to help her."

     "Just being there for her is a wonderful first step."

     "One that I can't do half the time when Damon and Stefan are always taking her off somewhere," Erin exclaimed in return. "I mean, first it was Stefan trying to get her on an animal blood diet, then it's Damon visiting a college town to snatch, eat, erase."

     "They are - persistent. I will give them that,"Elijah retorted against the brothers.

     Erin turned from the bookcase and approached her long dresser, which held her television, jewelry box, and various other items. "More like obsessed. It's only gotten worse since Elena can't keep anything down besides blood straight from a living, breathing person."